• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

new MacBook Pro with Mojave crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanL

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 8.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Just bought a spanking new MacBook Pro that came with Mojave installed. I downloaded the latest versions of Lightroom Classic, Bridge, and Photoshop. I copied the photos from my old laptop (running on Sierra) to the Pictures photo on the new one, along with the catalog from the old laptop, and pointed to that catalog in preferences. Imported new photos, but shortly after I started to sort the photos, marking some with an X to delete, the computer freezes (spinning ball), the screen gets weird, and I have to reboot.

Before starting I had gone through all the preferences to make sure that everything was the same, and I did notice that there was a different graphics card mentioned (i think the was what it was, working from memory here), but I assumed at the time that LR had identified he graphics card on the new MBP compared with the old one. Otherwise the new laptop has twice as much space as the old one, and is considerably more powerful than the old one (mid 2014).

I've searched looking for issues between Lightroom and Mojave but can't find anything that matches this.

Hi Susan

That sounds very frustrating! When you say "the screen gets weird", what does that look like?

It became disjointed on one of the times we tried, another time there was a strange line of green objects going across the screen

That sounds like a conflict with the graphics card driver. Go to System Preferences > Software Update and make sure that's not offering any updates. If it's up to date, go to LR's Preferences > Performance tab and see what the GPU pop-up is set to.

ok - good start. there is an update, downloading now... will report back! thank you for your prompt reply!

It looks like this worked - I haven't been able to reproduce the error. A basic question, then - in frustration, I had gone back to the old laptop and worked on a couple of photos there. If I backup the catalog on the old laptop, do I just copy it and overwrite that catalog file on the new one and copy the photos that were changed into the same folders on the new laptop? So glad the fix was that simple (so far...)!

If you haven't worked on photos on the new computer, then yes, that's fine.

Otherwise, select the photos on the old computer, go to Export As Catalog to create a catalog of just those photos, then copy that to the new computer and go to Import From Another Catalog to pull those couple of photos edits into the newer laptop catalog.

Great - haven't worked on the new computer yet so that should work. Thanks again for such a quick response!

sadly, remember I wrote "so far"? well, after transferring the catalog from the old computer to include the changes from the photos there, the same thing happened - it seems to be fine in Library, but as soon as i go to Develop, the screen goes wonky again (see attached). The graphics processor is set to "Auto".

Attachments

• IMG_5101.jpeg
    IMG_5101.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_5102.jpeg
    IMG_5102.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 217
Try setting that GPU pop-up to off and see if it still happens. I might also try running the Apple Hardware Test as that's not the behavior I would expect.

I waited to see the behavior before responding - changing the GPU pop-up to off worked - at least initially. Able to work on several photos in Develop, edit in Photoshop, etc., and then the screen freezes and cursor disappears, and a forced reboot is necessary. Currently there is an odd green edge around the Develop photo box, but Develop still works - for now. Until it doesn't... Would you say an Apple issue or an Adobe issue for the next contact?

It sounds more hardware - did you try running the hardware tests?

reporting back - after two days of various (non) fixes up to and including reinstalling the OS and a chat with the tech at adobe, who told me i had a "supercomputer" that was perfect for lightroom etc, and the senior advisor at apple, who told me that the computer was exactly the one he was planning on getting for himself for photography, it was clear that the issue was hardware and apple is swapping for a new computer, which was lucky because i had procrastinated opening the box to the end of the two week return period. fedex comes for pickup tomorrow, new computer next week. to be continued...

That's.... er, good, I think! I hope the replacement works out better for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back