• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

New LR Cloudy update crashing my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishowe

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Cloudy desktop
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have just updated the LR cloudy software, then been attempting to edit some old photos. After editing a few images, my PC has just frozen 3 times running - I have had to hold down the switch off button as nothing is accessible (no keyboard touches will do anything either), and then restart. Prior to updating LR, I had been working on an Excel spreadsheet for 3 hours with no trouble - any ideas? (Chillblast fast PC, Windows 10, NVIDIA GeForce 970 graphics card etc)

Graphics card driver bug would be my best bet. It's got to be something low level to crash everything.

I would investigate the GPU compatibility. Do you have the latest NVIDIA driver installed? Other things to look at are free space for working storage. You need at least 100GB to handle your swapfile and all of the temporary files that LR requires. Other apps like Excel also use temporary files in working storage. Did excellent release all of its temporary files? Did it free all of the RAM when it ended? How much RAM do you have and how many CPU Cores?

Thanks Vicky - but (and now Clee01) - spent half an hour or more trying to install new driver software from NVIDIA website - three times it got stuck 3/4 way through install. So then went to Control Panel, found Graphics driver (NVIDIA GeForce 970), right clicked sand said updates software - windows did that & said it had installed it. I restarted PC just in case needed, then did a few image adjust including a panorama merge, which merged fine and appeared on screen in its stack,, then PC froze again.
C drive has 688Gb free of 1Tb. Preferences shows “Available space on C: 730Gb; Required space 91Gb; Photo cache 160Gb” ... while I was a checking that PC has frozen again !!!!!

I would uninstall the graphics card driver and then reinstall from Nvidia's own website, as Windows Update is usually out of date.

Tried that - Hell of a lot of trouble trying to get latest driver from NVIDIA website - 3 times in a row it got 3/4 way thru install and then stopped. Anyway took it to my old work IT manager and he managed to load latest driver, then stress tested the PC. All now appears to work fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back