• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • The February 2020 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic has a brand new Defaults system, the ability to set a specific monitor for the secondary window and PSB format support. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has the ability to import presets on Android, DNG export and Split View support on iPadOS. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.

Develop module new LR Classic preset is a big failure for me

Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
Today I updated to 9.2 release.
I use for any camera model, more than five and every ISO a own RAW default. Not only changing ISO depended noise reduction but also exposure, contrast, tone curve and more.
Anyone have a 'simple' solution to get my defaults back?
Current plan is to check every DEFAULT_xxxxxx.xmp file and try to get this in the new RawDefaults.xmp.
Why adobe change the behavior this way? Why not make this optional and let the previous features working for people who use them.
A very boring update for me.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Markus, have you checked the latest update to your LR Classic book? There's a new way of doing ISO specific defaults at the end of the Changes Appendix, and although it involves a text editor, it's smart enough to interpolate between ISO's.

Hi Victoria,

yes and your hints are the only way to go. Thanks for the book.

Cant use the interpolation because my settings are not to interpolate, so I will generate the Camera specific files per hand.

Are only one per Camera, with every ISO setting the camera is capable (multiplied by one third steps), so my weekend isn't behind the camera it will be behind the text editor off my computer. Still not amused about this new feature, but that is not your fault, I blame Adobe for this.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Are only one per Camera, with every ISO setting the camera is capable (multiplied by one third steps)
I'd suggest you can break that way down. You do need one preset per camera, but you certainly don't need to do every one third step. That's the smartest bit about these new presets. 5 cameras = 5 presets. Pick out a few different ISO values for each camera and let it figure out the ISO's in between (or at least the 1/3 steps.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Do we need to create presets to make this work now? Before 9.2 I just tweaked stuff like texture, clarity, enabled lens corrections and used the Develop -Set Defaults command.

Now that it is all in the preferences - presets do I just do the same thing in the LR Develop Window and then click "Update Default"? I'm the road and going out shooting tomorrow so it would be nice if my tweaks apply at import. Thanks.

Attachments

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
That didn't work. I guess it is presets from now one. I bit of an adjustment. I kinda like the Default Develop Settings option but you have t adjust to change.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
If you want to apply the same settings to all new imports, regardless of the camera used, you don't need to use the camera-specific section at all. Set the Master to do what you want, and uncheck the option to "Use defaults specific to camera model". You only need to use the camera-specific section if you want to apply different default settings on a per camera basis.

In your screenshot example, the Master is set to Camera Settings, and so is the camera-specific section, so the latter is not needed. However, if for example you wanted Adobe Defaults applied to all imports apart from the EOS R, then you would set Master to Adobe Default and then you'd set the camera-specific section to whatever you wanted applied to images from that camera only, such as Camera Settings or a specific preset.

I'm currently using two different cameras, for one of which Adobe has created camera-matching profiles, and for the other it hasn't. Regardless of that difference I'd want to apply the same non-Adobe default settings on import AND I'd like to have Lightroom apply the Camera Settings for the camera-matching profiles. To do that I've created a preset which applies the various tweaks (Auto, LC, Clarity, etc.), then I've modified it manually to apply some ISO dependent NR rules, but when creating the preset I've unchecked the "Profile & Treatment" box. That then allows me to set that preset as the Master defaults, and with the "Profile & Treatment" box unchecked that means that the camera settings (i.e. camera-matching profile derived from in-camera Picture Style) are also applied as well as the other settings.....so when I use the camera that has supporting camera-matching profiles I get that applied automatically, and when I use the camera that doesn't have supporting camera-matching profiles I get the default Adobe Color profile - but both cameras get all the other settings that I included in the preset.

At the moment "Camera Settings" only seems to apply the matching camera profile relating to the in-camera Picture Style, it doesn't seem to do anything if you tweak the defaults for a Picture Style in camera, e.g. boost contrast or saturation. Hopefully, however, this might lead to more things to come.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I have specific tweaks for each camera. I found you have to enter the preset in both master and default. When I entered my new preset in the default only, closed and opened preferences it would revert back to camera defaults.

Working now. Thanks for the info.

I'd suggest you can break that way down. You do need one preset per camera, but you certainly don't need to do every one third step. That's the smartest bit about these new presets. 5 cameras = 5 presets. Pick out a few different ISO values for each camera and let it figure out the ISO's in between (or at least the 1/3 steps.
These are my settings to add for just one Camera.
The next must be done, day by day :(
Will be faster as I now have code to copy.
Code:
   <crs:ISODependent>
    <rdf:Seq>
     <rdf:li
      crs:ISO="50"
      crs:Exposure2012="-1.13"
      />
         crs:ISO="100"
      />     
         crs:ISO="125"
      />     
         crs:ISO="160"
      />     
         crs:ISO="200"
         crs:Exposure2012="-1.17"
      />     
         crs:ISO="250"
         crs:Exposure2012="-1.17"
      />     
         crs:ISO="320"
         crs:Exposure2012="-1.37"
      />     
         crs:ISO="400"
      />     
         crs:ISO="500"
         crs:Exposure2012="-1.27"
      />
         crs:ISO="640"
      />     
         crs:ISO="800"
      />     
         crs:ISO="1000"
         crs:Exposure2012="-1.30"
      />
         crs:ISO="1250"
      />
         crs:ISO="1600"
      />           
         crs:ISO="2000"
      />
         crs:ISO="2500"
      />
         crs:ISO="3200"
      />     
         crs:ISO="4000"
      />
         crs:ISO="5000"
      />     
         crs:ISO="6400"
      />     
         crs:ISO="8000"
      />     
         crs:ISO="10000"
      />     
         crs:ISO="12800"
         crs:Exposure2012="-1.3"
      />     
         crs:ISO="16000"
         crs:ColorNoiseReductionDetail="40"
      />     
         crs:ISO="20000"
         crs:ColorNoiseReductionDetail="20"
         crs:ColorNoiseReductionSmoothness="70"         
      />     
         crs:ISO="25600"
         crs:ColorNoiseReductionSmoothness="60"         
      />
         crs:ISO="32000"
         crs:ColorNoiseReductionSmoothness="70"         
      />
         crs:ISO="51200"
         crs:ColorNoiseReductionSmoothness="75"     
      />     
         crs:ISO="102400"
         crs:ColorNoiseReduction="35"
         crs:ColorNoiseReductionDetail="0"
         crs:ColorNoiseReductionSmoothness="100"             
         crs:Exposure2012="-1.40"
      />     
    </rdf:Seq>
   </crs:ISODependent>

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Wow, that's detailed. Your exposure values go up and down slightly even for 1/3 stops, do you find that makes that big a difference? How did you figure out all those variations of 0.03 of a stop exposure?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Hi,

I think that version 9.2 might be the incarnation (or preview) of the first "regression only" version of Lightroom. Nothing new ans really useful, just regressions and new bugs. The ability to tweak the configurations having more than 2 displays will certainly please an incredible number of users as well as the capability to load PSB files. Otherwise, there's nothing in the new LR defaults management that I couldn't do before . But the camera specific ISO default setting must now be done by tweaking a configuration file manually. Thanks a lot, we were all waiting for these changes, holding our breath.

If they have spare time to spend on such oddities, they could use it to work on all the long lasting bugs waiting since many years for a fix. I really can't believe it.

Wow, that's detailed. Your exposure values go up and down slightly even for 1/3 stops, do you find that makes that big a difference? How did you figure out all those variations of 0.03 of a stop exposure?
Hi Victoria,
I use the Forcing a Raw Converter to Render Tones Accurately technique from ILIAH BORG and the ISO depended settings are to compensate the Deriving Hidden Baseline Exposure Compensation Applied by a Raw Converter. All this is done to get better Mid-tones and more headroom in highlights if using the exposure to the right technique (I always try to do).
Only drawback is you must edit every photo to your style, but you have more headroom than ever before and the pictures from the same camera model looks better than before.

After make the changes to the file, I can life with the new way Adobe introduced. To bad there wasn't a automatic conversion, but I learned somthing and learning is always nice :)

Thanks again Victoria for your great book, the help and keep going.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (but still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi,

I think that version 9.2 might be the incarnation (or preview) of the first "regression only" version of Lightroom. Nothing new ans really useful, just regressions and new bugs.
Samoreen,

What do you mean by "regression only?"

Phil Burton