• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

New LR Classic - installed and humming away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmsp

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I installed the new LR Classic today - and couldn't be more pleased.
It installed just fine, converted my catalog just fine, and the (little) post processing I have done went quickly.

Granted, I have not tried everything new yet, nor have I imported a huge photo shoot, but the first day reaction from me is - great job, Adobe engineers.

Seems to work pretty well at this stage although it is very basic. I can't tell if I have jpg or raw file displayed when working unless I go to the info panel. This is quite annoying for a dual workflow so I'm hoping they add metadata overlay soon. I wonder if Adobe will eventually replace Lightroom Classic with this new version or whether they will remain different applications ?

Seems to work pretty well at this stage although it is very basic. I can't tell if I have jpg or raw file displayed when working unless I go to the info panel. This is quite annoying for a dual workflow so I'm hoping they add metadata overlay soon. I wonder if Adobe will eventually replace Lightroom Classic with this new version or whether they will remain different applications ?
My guess is that Adobe will eventually phase out Classic in favor of a much-improved version of this newly released product.

My guess is that Adobe will eventually phase out Classic in favor of a much-improved version of this newly released product.
Let's hope it does not REQUIRE cloud storage when that happens.

The new range function works nicely. I've only put it on one of my two computers, my laptop, which is the slower one. I've also installed the new CC version to play with.

Can I clarify which version you're talking about - it sounds like you're talking about LR CC - I have the metadata display as usual in LR Classic.

Shame they didn't call the new product Lightcloud, or something more easily distinguished from the existing version.

Yeah. We're going to see this confusion for a long time.

Last edited:
No, that's just speculation. It's understandable, but then why the big effort to improve performance?

They are indeed dropping the stand-alone version. Lightroom Classic CC is subscription only.

I’ve no idea... anyway I’ll start to check my workflow with c1... just in case...
I too hope someone develops a competitive product that is as complete, as I think it makes the market, and Adobe better to have competition.

But there's nothing about this announcement that implies one needs to hurry with such change. Classic is better than 2015.12. Considerably better in a couple cases (the subtle changes to masking are really quite powerful, for example, and not getting as much press as they deserve).

The choice of names is going to be the cause of much confusion. But it's been happening for a while at Adobe: "Photoshop Lightroom".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back