• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

New iMac needed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanny48

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LRc 11.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Current machine
Late 2013 27” iMac (Catalina 10.15.7)
8MG ram, later increased to 24MG
HD 256MG
2* 3TB HDs for photos/music etc and Time Machine
Currently using LRc 11.1

Recently attempted to send a photo from LRc to Photoshop and received message telling me there wasn’t enough memory. I checked the iMac HD and it showed only 11GB free !!!
I then deleted a couple of apps that I use as plugins and a lot of the LRc backups, which gave me enough room and I now delete a back up each time I do a new one.
Currently using LRc 11.1 and Creative cloud has updates for me which I’m not sure would be a good idea to install.
This was my first Mac and I would probably like get another one, unless someone tells me there’s a better option.

What I’m looking at is the new24” iMac with the M1 chip, 16GB ram, and 1TB ssd.
Is this a sensible choice and is there anything else I should look out for ?

John

What I’m looking at is the new24” iMac with the M1 chip, 16GB ram, and 1TB ssd.
Is this a sensible choice and is there anything else I should look out for ?
It is sensible enough for me. That is the machine that I got to replace my not so old Intel iMac last year.

And I’ve got the same spec but as a Mac mini as I wanted a bigger screen. No complaints here!

Thanks Clee, Victoria and Colin, looks like the 24" iMac it is then. Just need to arrange it with 'credit control'.
I take it 16 Gb ram is the maximum, you can't add any more yourself ?

John

The M1 chip and ram work differently together in comparison to the Intel Macs. I have never experienced an issue other than a positive one - better performance.

And I’ve got the same spec but as a Mac mini as I wanted a bigger screen. No complaints here!
I'm on exactly that same fence: 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM, but iMac 24 or Mini? Like you, looking at the Mini to go bigger than 24. May I ask what monitor you use? And what did you buy for keyboard and trackpad/mouse? Thanks!

I went with the Mac Mini M1 as well (1TB SSD + 16GB), mainly so that I could initially repurpose my pair of HP LP2475W wide gamut monitors (with a view to upgrade to 4K eventually). Like the others, no complaints at all.

Because I also still maintain an old Windows10 system (mainly for Lightroom testing purposes) both monitors are hard-wired to both desktop systems and each can be seamlessly switched between the two systems. Similarly, I use the wireless Logitech MX Keys keyboard and the MX Master 3 mouse, both of which can also be seamlessly switched between the two systems simply by moving the mouse pointer to the appropriately connected monitor. Just trying to keep my desk less cluttered. The switchable mouse even allows me to copy items from one system and drag them to the other for pasting there, which is quite cool!

I was waiting for a 27" iMac but the old one died. I ended up with a LG 27MD5KL-B. I think they're end of line now, but it was the only decent 5K 27" I could find at the time. It's paired with my existing Eizo CG243W for color sensitive work. Keyboard and trackbad I already had from my old 27" iMac, they're still going.

You could just save a lot of $$$ and move your image files to an external drive. You can also shift Apple Music and Photos libraries to an external drive.

You could just save a lot of $$$ and move your image files to an external drive. You can also shift Apple Music and Photos libraries to an external drive.
Thanks michaelp, the photos, music etc are already on a 3TB external drive. Have been away for few days but got back yesterday to find new M1 iMac delivered :D despite being given initial date of late June/early July.
Now to read up on transferring files and programmes from old to new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back