• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

New formatting of forum menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouieSherwin

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi,

This morning I noticed that the forum menus are now formatted to match the LRQ website style instead of the forum style. At first I thought that the menus were missing until I took a closer look. My preference would to be keep the forum menus with the same style as the forum itself if for no other reason to maintain visual continuity. IMHO of course.

-louie

Had the same initial reaction, but I am not minding the changes that much. I think that over time I'll get used to the new look and it will become second hand.

--Ken

As you can tell, I'm playing with bits and pieces. We've got a forum software upgrade due that will change/modernize the look of the forum a bit, and I'm trying to make sure that change is as gradual and familiar as possible. I've clearly still got work to do! :)

Which menu wasn't obvious enough Louie?

If you want input, there's now way too much white space at the top of the page. It's easy to scroll down, and maybe it makes it easier for people to find things, but it is pretty.... inefficient maybe is the word.

What resolution screen Ferguson? I'm mainly working on the skin for Xenforo 2, so this is just temporary.

2560 x 1400. Here's an example. I don't remember the old layout really, just my reaction prior to reading this thread is somehow the heading grew and/or the fonts got smaller (there's just a lot of white relative to the text size).

One thing that likely isn't possible to fix is on a relatively wide display, if the floating add could be in the middle not in a separate row it saves a lot of real estate, but that won't work no narrow screens.

i-HJz4NXG.jpg

Speaking of narrow screens: I also use a second monitor in portrait mode (1880 x 1200), and it looks reasonably nice there as the menus extend across most of the space over the add and don't make it look quite so empty.

It's never easy to make a web page look good in all aspects.

i-CZHKFZL.jpg

Ah yeah, I think it's just because it's so widescreen. I went back and checked the previous style and it's even worse as the menu font was really small, but the borders were thicker, which might be why you're noticing the white more. That's useful feedback, as I'll see if it's possible to make things shuffle around more for widescreens in the XF2 version.

When you're running it widescreen, do you like that the threads stretch right across the screen, or would you prefer a maximum width (like the blog)? Anyone?

I do not like looong wide sentences. Also 2560 x 1600 here. So I make it half screen width... for now.

I like that you've changed the font back to sans-serif, I much prefer that.

What resolution screen Ferguson? I'm mainly working on the skin for Xenforo 2, so this is just temporary.
As you can tell, I'm playing with bits and pieces. We've got a forum software upgrade due that will change/modernize the look of the forum a bit, and I'm trying to make sure that change is as gradual and familiar as possible. I've clearly still got work to do! :)

Which menu wasn't obvious enough Louie?

It was the row of buttons starting with "NEW POSTS". When I started this thread I think it was a rather light serif font face and I briefly thought that it was missing until I rescanned the page and saw that they were still there. Since then it looks like you have changed it to a san-serif font face. This is easier to see.

I think part of my problem was also that this row of buttons had a blue background and when you changed the background to white I initially thought that the whole row was missing.

-louie

I like that you've changed the font back to sans-serif, I much prefer that.
LOL It was meant to be sans-serif in the first place, but I forgot to load the google font. :rolleyes: It was already on my computer, so I didn't spot it until I checked on my phone.

I do not like looong wide sentences. Also 2560 x 1600 here. So I make it half screen width... for now.
I may look at limiting the width if no one loves the ultra-wide sentences. I always use a half screen browser for the same reason.

Victoria,

Can you add a "New Posts" link on the top right of the screen, next to the "Mark All Theads Read" link. That new link would speed up my navigation a bit.

Phil Burton

Where are you looking Phil? You know it's already in the top left of the screen?
2018-03-12_11-05-25.png

I may look at limiting the width if no one loves the ultra-wide sentences. I always use a half screen browser for the same reason.
I get the desire, but I really wonder if limiting it at the source is a good idea. People who want narrow text can just use a half-page-wide browser, or scroll to enlarge the text. On the other hand, if one's monitor is large or further away they may LIKE wide text, and if you limit it they cannot get it.

It's so very hard today, with scaled text on high res monitors to know how people's screens actually look. I'd offer the observation that artificial limitations imposed look more dated than helpful, e.g. right now I have these really wide white bars surrounding this text. If I only wanted to use half my screen I could just use a smaller browser window.

Now that said... since a huge percentage of photographers have no idea how to use computers... helping them by truncating the width is probably more user friendly, frankly. But I just felt like offering a minor word for in favor of "trust the user".

Hi Victoria,

If it were me I would move these buttons down below the ad banner and change the style back to default background, blue in my case. For me any way this would make it visually clearer that these actions belong to the forum content.

-louie

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Trying to move buttons around in this kind of software is an almighty nightmare, so that may not be doable. I'll bear it in mind though.

I'm not going to spend too much time on the UI for the current software, as the skin for XF2 is coming on quite quickly, so the upgrade won't be too far off. I'm sticking largely with the defaults for XF2 so they don't get broken every time there's an update.

I do, but then I need to scroll to the top of the screen.
Phil
I'm clearly being blind, but I'm struggling to spot the Mark All Theads Read link!

I'm clearly being blind, but I'm struggling to spot the Mark All Theads Read link!
It only seems to appear at the top of the New Posts list (the other side of the screen from yet another of the existing New Posts links :rolleyes:).

Attachments

• New_Posts___Lightroom_Queen_Forums.png
    New_Posts___Lightroom_Queen_Forums.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 406
I prefer full width, I can make the browser window smaller if needed.

Tim

Full width should be back. I'm not sure it'll stay in the upgrade though, as Xenforo seem to have made some changes.

You guys aren't seeing any references to staging, are you? I've just duplicated the forum ready to test to upgrade but I'm seeing some weirdness!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back