New computer -- How to install new LR/PS & move old LR/PS catalog/settings to the latest versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_B

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
Hi,

I am in the process of building a new computer that should be up and running in a couple of weeks. Once the build is complete, Win 10is installed, and everything is stable, I plan to install new versions of LR and PS via Adobe's Photography subscription. (I'm currently using LR 5.7 and PS CS6.) I am unsure about the steps I should take, and would appreciate some general guidance in the form of webpage urls that I can read to familiarize myself on what needs to be done.

Basically, I expect that I will go to my account on the Adobe website and buy the subscription for LR and PS, from which I will install the CC versions on my new computer via the Creative Cloud app. I would like to transfer the old LR catalog, the templates and presets, and the raw and jpg files currently on the old computer. The raw/jpg files should be relatively easy to transfer, but I suspect that I'll have to keep the folder organization that I used on my old computer in order to avoid a lot of question marks when LR goes to find those files. Laura has a couple of videos on moving the LR catalog to new version of LR that should aid my transfer of the catalog. What about the existing templates and presents and other ancillary aspects of LR? Can they be moved, and if so, how? Similarly, I have several actions and gradient/color maps in PS CS6 that I would like to transfer to the new version of PS.

I recognize I'm asking a faq, so please just a couple urls (or pointers to other posts) so I can read up and get acquainted with what to do. Of course, if you want to elaborate, feel free. Once I've got a plan, I may post again with additional questions.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Bob

PS: Many apologies if I inadvertently posted to the wrong section. Administrators: please feel free to move my post as appropriate, should it be necessary. Thanks.

I've put all the components together. Today will be the first power-on tests, followed by installation of updates and drivers, and the operating system. If all goes smoothly, I anticipate attempting at an install of LR and PS on my new computer early next week. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back