• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

New computer and old computer (catalog) install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxwizard

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
L/R Classic ver 10.1.1 (on old computer)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
First time posting here.
I will try and be accurate in my info to you as I can. My computer guy copied my Pictures folder onto my new computer which contains my catalogue. It's a mess on both machine now. I want to do a clean install of L/R on the new computer and bring my old catalogue over. My images are on an external drive. The catalogue for some reason is in
User
My name
Videos
Pictures
L/R
Backup
The dated folder ( 2016-11-22-xxxx)
Backup
Dated folder (2020-12-28-xxxx) in this folder is L/R CATALOGE 2-2-V10 IRCAT.
Is it possible to uninstall L/R on the new computer, clean out and delete what's not not needed and start clean. Then I can work on getting the old catalogue to the new machine.I still have the old computer so I can access whatever files or folders I need.

I hope you can help...I figure starting clean is the better plan of attack.

The install of LR is not the problem. You just need to move the catalog to a more "normal" place. The standard location for the catalog is <user name> -> Pictures -> Lightroom -> <catalog folder name>. But, the catalog you referenced in your post is not your current catalog but rather an old backup of your catalog. Look for files that have an extension of ".lrcat". The newest one (which probably has the most "-2"s stuck on the end is the one you want.

Unless something very strange happened in your past, it should not be in a folder structure that has the word "backup" anywhere along the folder path. If you can find that catalog file, copy the entire folder containing it to the proper location on the new computer. The proper place is as noted above or on the same external drive as the images - this is optional but suggested.

If you can't find a catalog that is not in a backup folder, look on the old computer. Perhaps your computer guy neglected to copy it to the new computer. Also look on the external drive where your images are. If you still can't find a newer one, then pick the most recent (which very well may be the one you noted) backup and move it instead.

Then, rather than opening LR in the normal manner, double click on the catalog file you just found and perhaps moved. This will open LR using that catalog. However, it is probable that this catalog was from a prior version of LR. If that is the case, LR will ask if it is OK to update it for the new (LR10) format. Let it do so. This will make a copy of the old catalog, reformat it to the new structure and will stick a "V10" on the end of the name.

Once inside of LR, go to preferences and set it to "always open this catalog" (much safer than the default of "Open most recent"

The install of LR is not the problem. You just need to move the catalog to a more "normal" place. The standard location for the catalog is <user name> -> Pictures -> Lightroom -> <catalog folder name>. But, the catalog you referenced in your post is not your current catalog but rather an old backup of your catalog. Look for files that have an extension of ".lrcat". The newest one (which probably has the most "-2"s stuck on the end is the one you want.

Unless something very strange happened in your past, it should not be in a folder structure that has the word "backup" anywhere along the folder path. If you can find that catalog file, copy the entire folder containing it to the proper location on the new computer. The proper place is as noted above or on the same external drive as the images - this is optional but suggested.

If you can't find a catalog that is not in a backup folder, look on the old computer. Perhaps your computer guy neglected to copy it to the new computer. Also look on the external drive where your images are. If you still can't find a newer one, then pick the most recent (which very well may be the one you noted) backup and move it instead.

Then, rather than opening LR in the normal manner, double click on the catalog file you just found and perhaps moved. This will open LR using that catalog. However, it is probable that this catalog was from a prior version of LR. If that is the case, LR will ask if it is OK to update it for the new (LR10) format. Let it do so. This will make a copy of the old catalog, reformat it to the new structure and will stick a "V10" on the end of the name.

Once inside of LR, go to preferences and set it to "always open this catalog" (much safer than the default of "Open most recent"
Thank you for the reply..I understand that the catalogue I talk about is not where it usually lives. It is however the one that seems to contain the correct images (which live on my external hd) and all my presets.This is why id like to move this one to the new computer. My challenge is how do I get this old catalogue from its current location on the old computer, to perhaps where it is supposed to live on the new computer and have all my images show in LR.

On the old computer, with LR closed, use File Manager (aka My Computer) to copy the entire folder which contains the desired catalog from the old computer to the new one. In your case it seems to be the folder containing "L/R CATALOGE 2-2-V10 IRCAT". The "default" location for Lightroom catalogs is "C: Users -> <username> -> Pictures -> Lightroom -> <folder containing the catalog file>. Then double click on the catalog name to launch LR with the just moved catalog. It should now show you all your photos. However, if the folders in the folders panel in LR show up with "?" let us know - they just need to be re-pointed to the disk drive containing the images.

From a technical standpoint, if the two computers can "See" each other then use Windows File Manager and drag and drop from one computer to the other. If the two computers don't talk to each other, on the old computer copy the folder to the external drive. Then eject the drive and attach the drive to the new computer. and drag the folder to the desired location.

On the old computer, with LR closed, use File Manager (aka My Computer) to copy the entire folder which contains the desired catalog from the old computer to the new one. In your case it seems to be the folder containing "L/R CATALOGE 2-2-V10 IRCAT". The "default" location for Lightroom catalogs is "C: Users -> <username> -> Pictures -> Lightroom -> <folder containing the catalog file>. Then double click on the catalog name to launch LR with the just moved catalog. It should now show you all your photos. However, if the folders in the folders panel in LR show up with "?" let us know - they just need to be re-pointed to the disk drive containing the images.

From a technical standpoint, if the two computers can "See" each other then use Windows File Manager and drag and drop from one computer to the other. If the two computers don't talk to each other, on the old computer copy the folder to the external drive. Then eject the drive and attach the drive to the new computer. and drag the folder to the desired location.
I managed to move a backed up catalogue to my new pictures folder and it worked out great.I plugged in my external drive and all my images showed up.Far too much stress for an old guy.Now im installing Topaz and Nik back in both lr and ps.Fingers xed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back