• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Network drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty2k1

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom version: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Please see attached image.

When I import photos, I put them on my local SSD. When I'm done editing I move them to a networked attached storage drive for long term storage (\\tower\pictures in image). However, somewhere along the way my Lightroom catalog began looking at this network path as two separate network paths "\\tower" and "\\TOWER". In reality, these are the same location, but LR splits them under two headers. It's annoying to look at and I'm wondering if there is any fix for it.

Attachments

• network drive.PNG
    network drive.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 249
This is known as the 'capitalization problem'. It occurs sometimes because Windows (and MacOS X) are case-insensitive, but Lightroom is case-sensitive. I've not yet seen it as a network drive problem (always as a local folder problem), but the principle is the same and the solution should also be the same. You can search for it on this forum; there are several threads about it which explain it in more detail. Here's how you should be able to solve it:

Create a temporary folder on your network drive. Call it anything you like, so let's say 'TEMP'. Now right-click on the '2017' folder shown in the TOWER drive, and choose 'Update Folder Location'. In the dialog that follows, navigate to the TEMP folder and select it. The '2017' folder on the TOWER drive should disappear, and the TEMP folder should appear. It will show all images as missing, but don't worry about that.

Now right-click on the TEMP folder and choose 'Update Folder Location' again. Navigate to the '2017' folder on your 'tower' drive and select it. This should make the '2017' folder appear again (and no images missing), but now on the correct 'tower' drive, not on the 'TOWER' drive.

If this worked as expected, then repeat this with the '2016' and '2015-08-25' folders (you can use the same TEMP folder). That should make the entire 'TOWER' drive disappear from Lightroom completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back