• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Nested Keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Grant

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Not sure if I am missing something but if I have a nested keyword - say England>Cornwall - then when I enter the keyword "Cornwall" that is all I see unless I switch from Enter to Keywords and Containing where it will show me the keywords England and Cornwall. To me this seems a bit odd and I would expect to see the hierarchy (as being applied) in the Enter section. Is this a reason for this or am I missing something?

Thanks

When you have a hierarchical keyword Cornwall < England, the Enter Keywords box normally will display it simply as "Cornwall". But if there is another Cornwall in the hierarchy, e.g. Cornwall < Pennsylvania, then to disambiguate them, the Enter Keywords and Keywords & Containing Keywords boxes will display them fully qualified, Cornwall < England and Cornwall < Pennsylvania.

When you assign Cornwall < England to a photo, it has one keyword explicitly assigned (Cornwall) and one keyword implicitly assigned (England), where England "contains" Cornwall. LR considers both keywords to be assigned to the photo, so if you do the filter or smart collection criterion Keywords Contains Words England, that will match a photo assigned Cornwall. And when you export the photo, the exported photo will have two exported keywords, Cornwall and England, which is why they both appear in the Keywording > Will Export box.

"Enter keywords" as it indicates, shows the keywords you've explicitly entered, whereas "Keywords & Containing Keywords", as it indicates, also shows all the keyyword contained in the image. This seems logical to me.

The weakness is that you do not know if a keyword is part of a hierarchy or not when you enter it. That certainly seems illogical (certainly unhelpful) to me. John, what happens if you have say Cornwall as part of a heirarchy and another Cornwall outside of that? Does it assign both?

The weakness is that you do not know if a keyword is part of a hierarchy or not when you enter it. That certainly seems illogical (certainly unhelpful) to me. John, what happens if you have say Cornwall as part of a heirarchy and another Cornwall outside of that? Does it assign both?
You might have a look at John's Any Tag plugin.

Thanks Jan, that looks really useful.

John, I have answered my own question re duplicate keywords - it gives an option .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back