• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

NEF and JPG display in the Library module

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammer88

So I think I've finally given up trying to use Lightroom for NEF interpretation even with available presets out there. They just don't cut it. The colors are almost always duller. Maybe not for all situations but 2'% chance of duller colors is 2'% too much.

So I decided to just shoot JPG for now. I experimented with both NEF & JPG but it seems lightroom won't display both in the library mode. It only displayed the NEF file for me although the pop up info box told me there was a JPG as well.

My question is, is there a way to access this jpg file through Lightroom? If so, maybe I will just shoot in NEF/JPG mode.

Thanks!

From the help file:

"To import duplicate JPEG files and raw files separately, select the Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos option. Deselect this option to import only a single file."

Thanks for the reply. I guess I encountered my problem because I first had the NEF files in LR and then I generated the JPGs with PictureProject into the same folder. Then I used the synchronize folder command and nothing happened.

Once you've checked that box, synchronize should see them.

And don't write off Lightroom NEF's indefinitely - good things are being promised...

That is interesting for me. Does anybody have any addtional information on handling NEF and jpg files parallel under lightroom?

I am an absolute beginner with respect to Lightroom. So far I have tried out quite a few programs (Aperture, Nikon Capture, etc.). So far only Nikon Capture had a feature for handling both types of files at the same time in a decent manner.

What I want is to store both pictures and to handle both in an identical manner when renaming, deleting, moving the files or changing their metadata etc.

However, I want to be able to access (open) both files separately.

Nikon capture can do this. However, the rest of the program is (as far as I encountered) buggy and badly designed.

Could anybody mention some resources about how Lightroom handles these issues. The program seems to be really well designed. I wish I could also say this about its help file...

Best regards,

peeetz

We’ve just started shooting in raw because of LR and the ability to manipulate NEF's. That said I have used Photoshop CS3 Extended with its raw plug-in to be able to do some minor color corrections, but remember what you can see on a screen vs. what color range any printer has today is still a hot topic. Using LR gives you the ability to adjust your NEF's without degrading the quality of the image. Then when you’re done, and do your export all we have selected is 3''dpi jpeg output and the rest is history.

There is third party software that I use called ACDSee Pro. I mainly use this program for viewing all images in all their formats, sync by time to the second and making contact sheets 8x12 because we have an RA-4 processor. It has some editing abilities but I have never used them.

One more thing that I have to say "LightRoom 2.' Rocks" with the right set up (pc/mac) it crunches images remarkably well. And if you pay attention this program is offering photographers the ability to make your own websites, ecommerce without out the knowledge of code. And on and on and on "BUY IT" use it play with it most of all is play with LR it will amaze you.

Cheers

peeetz,

I shoot NEF+JPG and this is how I work.

I import both into Lightroom (with "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" checked on the Import tab of Preferences. This imports both into the Library. Note I import with "General Zeroed".

Next I choose Photo->Stacking->Auto-Stack by Capture Time... and choose a "Time Between Stacks" of ':'':''1 (one second). Next, I collapse all stacks (Photo-Stacking->Collapse All Stacks) so that I just have the JPEGs showing.

I work through the JPEGs and when I want to process one, I unstack, which exposes the NEF and keeps both images selected. I update the metadata (keywords, etc.) and then select just the NEF and go into Develop to work on it. In most cases it is just to select the Preset I have which gives me results similar to the JPEG. Once finished, I export the image using and export preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back