Need Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernChick

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
I'm really in need of recommendations, I know there are a lot of different opinions out there but I'm hoping I can get y'alls feedback to help me decide. I currently have an older laptop (pc) & it's done well for me, but the keyboard is starting to go out & it's about time to upgrade anyway so I'm looking to get something new in August. What I need is plenty of ram for LrC, PS, Bridge, & Ru. I also want room for some music & Word. I am absolutely not a Mac girl. I'm open to a tablet if it has a lot of storage I would love it. My husband was wondering about the Samsung tablet & it looks good on paper but I'm not sure. I've been reading & researching all of the tablets & pc's available, but I'd like to hear from real people what really works for them. Thank Y'all in advance!

I would start by checking features for tablet and laptop. Not all are available on each. Also look at user interface. Can you do without a mouse? Once that’s done, check the system requirements.

Tablets have their place and purpose, and it may be for you, but they are not a direct substitute for a laptop. I own both and use them for specific reasons. And yes, there are a few folks that only use a tablet, but you should understand their workflow and its limitations before making any decision. Personally, I would get a laptop that meets your needs and if there is money to spare, would buy a basic Apple iPad. In the world of tablets, Apple really has no bad models. I cannot say that about the "affordable" Samsung tablet I bought a few years ago for a trip abroad. My basic iPad runs circles around it in every way. Perhaps Samsung's top models are better, but I was comparing base model to base model. And for the record, I do like my Samsung phones, so I am pretty agnostic when it comes to platforms and manufacturers (Windows computers, Apple tablets, Android phones).

--Ken

Last edited:
Apple doesn't make any terrible iPads. That is not true of the "cheap" Samsung tablet I purchased a few years ago for use when traveling internationally. In every regard, it is outclassed by my bare-bones iPad. Maybe Samsung's high-end phones are superior, but I was comparing entry-level phones.

dordle

I have a fairly high end Samsung tablet (I've never been tempted into iWorld) and like it very well, but I would not use it as my main editing platform - I just don't feel I'd have enought control with just the touch screen.
All my editing is done on my desktop, but if I did need to edit on the move I'd get me a laptop

First, take a step back and determine your requirements and which platform you want to run.
There are four platforms implied and at play here.
The first two are full blown systems: Mac OS, and Windows.
Second both started as small mobile devices: Apple iOS, and Android

When discussing HW, Windows and Android both run the gamut from cheap and poorly made to Rolls Royce bespoke level. While Apple products sold in the US tend to be from the upper end of the middle range to premium only. Last time I bought a machine (a month ago for my college daughter), if comparing Apple Mac vs Windows, on a performance basis and scores, Apple was roughly 10% more expensive to match the same performance. This is what I tease my Apple fan brother as the Apple tax :D

If you want a single machine which can either work like a "tablet" or a laptop; Windows is the only answer. I have used a Dell 2 in 1, Microsoft Surface, and ASUS ProArt with LrD (the Lightroom Desktop app part of Lr cloud ecosystem). The Surface was the "coolest" and lightest as the keyboard plus extra battery could be detached. The Dell was the most "industrial" and heavy but by far the best bang for the buck, The ASUS was in between the other two solutions. In all cases, the ability to switch between tablet mode using a pen and a full blown laptop was awesome.

The downside to these dual use machines; is the reality for Android and iOS are just a little more intuitive when there is no keyboard.

In the Apple world, you will end up with two devices to match. If you are in Classic, this also means you will be bridging two software packages to work on an iPad and a Mac Air (or equivalent).

Oh, my daughter went with a Mac Air. I paid the Apple tax for her.

Tim

I bought a new Ipad Pro, with the intention of using for short travel trips, but discovered too late that Lr Mobile will only work with images on the device itself. Its glorious Usb C port and my lovely Samsung T7 drives , will allow me use these external drives for backup, but not for use with Lr. So, make sure that you have sufficient spare disk space on your tablet.
I could not be sure my ipad would have enough space.

Please note - this is an old-ish thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back