• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipri

Lightroom Version Number
LR6
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,
I have LR6. I have a new pc. I have re downloaded LR6 to new pc. I have also transferred all my photos using a USB to my new pc then , created a new LR Catalogue .When I open LR and use Library to click on "Import photos and videos" I can see the whole list of all my stuff. If I click on a folder these are available for import using " Add ". When these come up...all my previous image adjustments have gone. There is a series of " .lrdata" files in in the list of folders on the "Pictures" / Lightroom. But I cant see these from within the LR folder list.There is a LR folder, but the .lrdata file are not there. Is there anything I can do? And, will reconnecting the .lrdata files restore my image adjustments? Sorry for the ramble! Regards Ian

You should not create a new catalog, but use the latest existing one. Just double click the newest .lrdata file from those that you copied from the old computer. That will Lightroom to start using this one.

You should not create a new catalog, but use the latest existing one. Just double click the newest .lrdata file from those that you copied from the old computer. That will Lightroom to start using this one.

I think Johan intended to say Just double click the newest .LRCAT (not .lrdata) file from those that you copied from the old computer. LRCAT files are catalogs, whereas LRDATA files/folders just contain previews.

Thanks for the help. I found the .lrcat files on my mem stick that I used to transfer photos. When I double click to see in the folder... things kicked off!! The copy/ move / add page currently has a small rotating circle of dots...presumably this will go on for some time ( 4000+ photos)

That sounds like you started Lightroom now with a catalog off the memory stick. In case that is indeed what you did: that's not the way. You have to copy it first to your hard disk and then start it from there.

Sorry..I now cant get LKT at all!. I may have to delete all the stuff that I have been messing with....and start afresh! Thanks anyway. Must sort out beeping smoke alarm!!! one of those days Ian

Success!!! I don't know quite how, but I closedPC down to go and get a battery for alarm. Upon return, lightroom opened fine....and all adjustments in situ. All I need to do now is sort out the question mark and ! marks. Thank you all very much for the help.. kind regards Ian

Hi again, presumably "Pictures" folder (withal sub folders 4000 pics) are all greyed out because I have not yet imported them to be available to work on in Develop mode? Can I just Import the Pictures folder to get them all into Develop mode at same time ? Currently all these folders , from "Pictures" down seem to have "?" marks. Do I deal with these after I've imported them?

Hi again, presumably "Pictures" folder (withal sub folders 4000 pics) are all greyed out because I have not yet imported them to be available to work on in Develop mode? Can I just Import the Pictures folder to get them all into Develop mode at same time ? Currently all these folders , from "Pictures" down seem to have "?" marks. Do I deal with these after I've imported them?
No, don't try to reimport them. The question mark means that Lightroom can't find the Pictures folder, because it thinks it's still in the old location. That is easy to solve. Right-click on the Pictures folder in Lightroom and choose 'Find Missing Folder'. You'll get an standard system 'open' dialog. Navigate to the Pictures folder with that dialog and select it. Done.

Hi, there is a block of greyed out folders with ? marks over them. They appear to be absent from my mem stick that I used to transfer the photos in the first place. Although when I click on these greyed out folders, the images can be seen. Surely they are somewhere on the C drive? PS the find folder approach doesn't seem to work with so many pics to look through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back