• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Need help to restore from backup catalog

DotP

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I need help. I am very close to publishing a book. I was in the process of making a PDF from Lightroom so I can check edit, etc. I must have touched something else on the Lightroom screen. When the PDF was done, I had my PDF, but all the book had disappeared except a cover with text and no image. Using undo didn't get it back. The library of photos for the book is still intact, but no book!

So I thought I'd try to restore from the latest backup, at 1 pm earlier today. I clicked on open catalog under the Lightroom file menu. The backup seems to have a subfolder, which is greyed, so it won't open.

I closed Lightroom and did not save as I usually do on closing.

I read up on the .lock file, deleted that, and reopened Lightroom from the Finder. I tried to open catalog again, with the same result. I saw a .lock file flash on just before the Lightroom screen opened, but it's not there now.

What to do next???

DotP

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I finally got the app, The Unarchiver, dragged the greyed out zip file into it, and the backup file opened. I restored the catalog, and my book reappeared.

The Mac OS, Sierra, usually opens compressed files of this size with a double click. I don't know why it didn't, but I'm happy to know about the app, and glad to see how restoring from a backup works.