Need help printing a B&W Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ch3vr0n

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
First time poster here, registered just for this as i can't figure this out on my own. A while ago a professional photographer visited my sister (and others) in an care facility for a photo project. (My sister's developmentally challenged). I've obtained from here this beautiful B&W (or greyscale) RAW image (4480x6720px @ 300dpi @ 48bit uncompressded) shot on an EOS 5D Mark IV. Photometric Interpretation is RGB.

Now i'm trying to print this on my Canon TS705 in various ways (direct print with windows basic gui when you rightclick > print), Lightroom 6.14 > Print > Printer > color profile auto, adobeRGB, srgb > Print. Lightroom > print to jpg > then print that using windows and they all look like crap. And by crap i mean the actual print quality is spot on, the problem lies in the the color.

Attached is a part of the image taken with my phone while the original is showing on my PC monitor (hence the "blockiness), and the printed version on the right with the purple hue. I say a part as i don't wanna post the full image and end up with a photographer copyright complaint.

I'm an amateur photographer myself using Lightroom 6.14, and i can work my way in it to the digital end result. Now getting a PHYSICAL end result, this is a first time need for me and it already goes wrong. Now i know i can probably just select to print in "Greyscale" in the printer dialog but that can't be the best option, can it?

Attachments

• PXL_20211114_163359946.jpg
    PXL_20211114_163359946.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 129
Hi,

Welcome! I am new here, too, and the advice I am about to give is not expert or complete, but might help you move in the right direction. That said, I have benefited from advice here and on other boards and so would like to repay a little.

In the LIB module have you looked at the saved presets? This button opens a menu of treatments, including a suite of B&W options. Trial and error. You can also get different renderings by filtering out colors of light. Again, trial and error may give you a more pleasing rendering of your image.

I am not familiar with your Canon printer--I had an i990, then switched to Epson 3880--but I understand Canon has a monochrome mode that you access through the print setup menu. (Epson's B&W mode produces great images). For either of them you need to choose color-managed by printer.

I hope that helps a bit. Also look into the paper you are using--different paper-and-ink combinations produce different results. Also try the soft proofing option in DEV to see roughly what your paper-and-ink combo might look like.

Finally, to get more predictable results you need to profile the monitor....but I think that's more than you need to get into in order to get a pleasing print from that image.

Hope this helps....

Best wishes,

Ed

I don't need to use any B&W image afaik, the image is ALREADY in black & white. The purple hues come when i print "in color"

First welcome. It's a good group with a mix of skills (the experts keep us in line) ;)

beautiful B&W (or greyscale) RAW image (4480x6720px @ 300dpi @ 48bit uncompressded) shot on an EOS 5D Mark IV. Photometric Interpretation is RGB.
The RAW file is not an image but a recording of the sensor information which will be RGB. When you import it into LR, it goes through a conversion from RAW to an actual image.

If you're image is 4480x720px then I'd ask if you are looking at a JPG or the CR RAW file? The EOS 5D Mark IV image size is 6720 x 4480. I don't know if the 4480x720 is a reduced size for a CR file.

Attached is a part of the image taken with my phone while the original is showing on my PC monitor (hence the "blockiness), and the printed version on the right with the purple hue.

If you are displaying the RAW CR file in the monitor then it is likely showing the embedded Preview JPG which may be B&W.

If you print it from Windows, then you are likely printing the embedded Preview JPG in the RAW file.

A quick look shows that the EOS 5D Mark IV has a B&W option but this is applied in different ways if a JPG or RAW. From this article:
  • If you shoot JPEG images in-camera (Large/Fine, etc.), they’ll be permanent black and white images. Picture Style settings are “baked-in” to JPEG images and video files, so to speak, and your images will reflect the Picture Style being used.
  • If you shoot RAW images and then process them with Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software, you can completely change the Picture Style with the software. Even if you originally had Monochrome set in-camera, you can revert those files to color images with no loss of quality (just pick a different Picture Style in DPP)
Try pulling in the RAW CR file into LR then converting it to B&W before trying to print it.

If you are just pulling the the JPG file into LR then you can try a 'soft proof' of the image based on the profile you want to print to.

Now i'm trying to print this on my Canon TS705

Are you printing to a specific paper which may have a profile? It doesn't look like the TS705 has any print profiles that are loaded and that LR can work with so (I think) this means that you should select Print Controls then use the Printer Setup to configure for B&W printing (if there is any).

Good luck.

I normally have Lightroom handle colour, as I guess most of us do.
However,if I print a b&w image, I get a colour cast (in my case green)
This can be avoided by having the printer handle colour, just for b&w prints.
I don't know if it's related to your problem (I have a different camera system and model of printer), but it might be worth a try.

The RAW file is not an image but a recording of the sensor information which will be RGB. When you import it into LR, it goes through a conversion from RAW to an actual image.
I know that
If you're image is 4480x720px then I'd ask if you are looking at a JPG or the CR RAW file? The EOS 5D Mark IV image size is 6720 x 4480. I don't know if the 4480x720 is a reduced size for a CR file.
I don't know where you got the 4480x720 from but i clearly said
RAW image (4480x6720px @ 300dpi @ 48bit uncompressded)
I'm looking in lightroom at the uncompressed, imported TIF file. Went to Library > import > add > selected the RAW .tif file and imported. I am NOT working with a jpg. I got the original RAW file from the photographer

Went to Export > save as jpg > windows image viewer > print > purple hue
Went to Lightroom > Print > print as jpg > single image > print to file > windows > print > purple hue
Went to lightroom > print > save as jpg > color management > sRGB > repeat the rest > purple hue
Went to lightroom > print print to > printer > profile > managed by printer > intent > perceptual > purple hue
Want to lightroom > print print to > printer > profile > adobeRGB > repeat > purple hue
If you print it from Windows, then you are likely printing the embedded Preview JPG in the RAW file.

If that were the case, and i'm printing the preview well, the preview is in proper black/white/grey tones. Not with a purple hue. No idea what i'm missing here or doing wrong. I simply wanna print straight from lightroom or windows and NOT having to set the printer print properties to "Greyscale Printing"

I checked the printer properties "color management" tab and i get

ICC profiles(and Advanced Colour): CN-IJPrinter_Profile2015.icc

I don't know where you got the 4480x720 from but i clearly said
Sorry, typo. Should have been 4480x6720 and I just realized that your pixels are the same as I listed for the camera but in reverse so no crop.
I'm looking in lightroom at the uncompressed, imported TIF file. Went to Library > import > add > selected the RAW .tif file and imported. I am NOT working with a jpg. I got the original RAW file from the photographer
I'm confused. A TIF file is not a RAW file. What are you working with? A Canon RAW file with normally have a file type with a prefix of CR.

Does the purple hue appear in LrC? I assume not. If it doesn't, it sounds like a printer setup issue especially since all approaches produce the same result. If it shows properly in LrC, then you may want to ask for help in a Canon TS705 support forum.

I'd also suggest your picture is monotone, and not black & white, since it seems to have a blue tone.

that blue is cause i took the prior partial with my phone camera OF the pc monitor. So there's an LCD color bleedthrough.

This is a partial of what i'm seeing in lightroom: partial.png

This is a partial of what i'm seeing in lightroom
Thanks. So it looks like the 'untitled-0018.TIF' file (not RAW) shows properly which supports the notion that this is a printer setup issue.

Guess i'll just print it in "Greyscale" then and be done with this. Mom's been waiting on the pic for like 4 weeks while i tried to troubleshoot this myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back