• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Need Help: iPhone to Lightroom Classic CC Workflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeCT

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  2. iOS
I take pictures with many different cameras (my DSLR, my wife's mirrorless, and my iPhone and my wife's iPhone). Getting the photos from our dedicated cameras (DSLR/mirrorless) into Lightroom is pretty straight forward - I've got that process down.... But what I am struggling to figure out, is a good, solid, repeatable workflow that will allow me to get the photos from our iPhones into Lightroom. I'd prefer an "automatic" process that runs in the background - and not have to download the photos manually via a hardwire connection/sync. But if that is the best solution, I'll go with that.
Any ideas/options would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!
-mike

Hi Mike and welcome to the forums.

This is not the easiest thing to accomplish. The best that I have come up with is to use the PhotoSync app. While it is not a fully automated process it is easy to setup and use. You just have it install it on all your iDevices and your Lightroom computer. It uses your local WiFi so you never have to fuss with cables and it goes directly to you computer so you never have to wait for it upload an download from the cloud.

After it is configured you simply have to initiate the sync on your mobile device and direct it to you computer. It keeps track of what has already been copied so you can select to only copy the new items. It places the images and movies in folders on your that you designate. I have one for each device with separate sub-folders for images and videos as I treat them slightly differently when importing into LIghtroom. There are a number of supplied options for target folders including one that you can customize.

On the Lightroom side of things I will run Import using the "Move" option. This is important as it does several important things.
  1. It removes the image file from the PhotoSync folder so I don't have to remember to clean it up later.
  2. It renames the image to my standard name "sherwin_YYYYMMDD_NNNN.xxx"
  3. It puts the file into my standard date based folder structure.
I like this workflow since the mobile device sync is completely separate from the Import process. I can sync our mobile devices anytime I want and run the import when convenient.

To be honest I haven't fully worked out the how to put selected images back onto the mobil devices. But I am pretty sure that it is going to be combination of a Publish to disk service with a PhotoSync back to our phones/tablets.

-louie

If you run the LR mobile app on your phones, you can tell it to auto-import your photos from the camera roll to Adobe's ecosystem –– and consequently upload them to the cloud and download them from there to LR Classic on your desktop computer. All this happens automatically as long as you both remember to open the Lightroom mobile app on your phones from time to time. You can even tell LR to import the photos to a specific album/collection.

Lightroom mobile - how to add photos from the camera roll | The Lightroom Queen

...The best that I have come up with is to use the PhotoSync app. ...

Thanks, Louie!
I'm slowly getting my feet wet with Lightroom, and the forums have been a great help.
With respect to the app... I noticed two PhotoSync apps in the Apple App Store: PhotoSync and PhotoSync Pro.... which one are you referring to?

Hi Mike and welcome to the forums.

This is not the easiest thing to accomplish. The best that I have come up with is to use the PhotoSync app. While it is not a fully automated process it is easy to setup and use. You just have it install it on all your iDevices and your Lightroom computer. It uses your local WiFi so you never have to fuss with cables and it goes directly to you computer so you never have to wait for it upload an download from the cloud.

After it is configured you simply have to initiate the sync on your mobile device and direct it to you computer. It keeps track of what has already been copied so you can select to only copy the new items. It places the images and movies in folders on your that you designate. I have one for each device with separate sub-folders for images and videos as I treat them slightly differently when importing into LIghtroom. There are a number of supplied options for target folders including one that you can customize.

On the Lightroom side of things I will run Import using the "Move" option. This is important as it does several important things.
  1. It removes the image file from the PhotoSync folder so I don't have to remember to clean it up later.
  2. It renames the image to my standard name "sherwin_YYYYMMDD_NNNN.xxx"
  3. It puts the file into my standard date based folder structure.
I like this workflow since the mobile device sync is completely separate from the Import process. I can sync our mobile devices anytime I want and run the import when convenient.

To be honest I haven't fully worked out the how to put selected images back onto the mobil devices. But I am pretty sure that it is going to be combination of a Publish to disk service with a PhotoSync back to our phones/tablets.

-louie

I registered just to say THANK YOU! :) I know this post is sorta old by now but I think this is going to solve an ongoing problem for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back