need help in removing duplicates from LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Kaplan

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I just re-created a new catalog because the old one had many tangled files and I wanted to create a "clean" catalog. Now that I have it, it contains multiple duplicates and I need to delete them. The information in the FAQ guide in creating a smart collection is a little unclear to me. So would it be possible to explain again how to do this or another way to delete dupes. Thanks

I think I have a related problem to the post of Peter Kaplan. My issue is whenever I export a file (or selected files) to a separate directory, it shows too in the catalog. I do not want this behaviour. I want my catalog to be just the originals. Any exported photo/s should not show in the catalog. How can I set this? I did try to search around but can't find anything that matches my problem. Thanks.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Check your Export settings....it's likely that you have "Add to This Catalog" selected (see screenshot)....if so, simply unselect it and the problem is fixed.

Capture.JPG

Thanks a lot TNG.
I feel so stupid :) --especially that I did check every setting of the export screen--or so I thought.

Cheers.

duplicates

Jim,

Do you have any response to my earlier question? I am getting many duplicates of (sometimes as many as 15) of images that were imported into my new clean LR catalog. I do not know the best way to clean them out so that I truly have a brand new catalog. Would you please give me a little help in this regard? Thanks

In what sense are they duplicates? Image content? Filenames? Timestamps? What?

LR's import have an option to "ignore duplicates". Do you have that checked?

Is there anything that the duplicate files have in common, that makes it possible to search for them by some means, inside LR? If the duplicates are only "visual" duplicates, but have different filenames, metadata and so on, I think it will be hard to make any automated searching.

Robert,
The duplicates have exactly the same file number and jpg attached to them, I also have a load of them with the word face embedded in the file number like 14456.jpg face 0. Victoria thinks that is iPhoto getting into my files. How can I rid myself of that?
Where do I find the option "ignore duplicates"? Maybe I can get rid of them that way, but I am getting the awful feeling that everytime I make a change of an image in LR either iPhoto or something within LR is making a copy of that file number..... any ideas?

"Ignore duplicates" can be found in the import dialog, so it is only possible to do when you are importing. Once photos are in LR, there is no built-in way to detect duplicates. But I seem to remember there is some plugin that lets you search the catalog for duplicates, but I don't remember what it is called right now, or how it works. Googling for "lightroom plugin duplicates" is probably a good tip.

Well, if you have a lot of files with "face" in the filename you could simpy search for that:
http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/9/2470618319-orig.jpg

Then just select the images you want to get rid of and delete them.

duplicate folders?

Where are the duplicates? Perhaps this would work: if you check a particular pair of duplicates and they are in different folders, then see if the two folders each contain the same (i.e. duplicated) images, then you can just delete one of the folders.

Robert,
The duplicates have exactly the same file number and jpg attached to them, I also have a load of them with the word face embedded in the file number like 14456.jpg face 0. Victoria thinks that is iPhoto getting into my files. How can I rid myself of that?
Where do I find the option "ignore duplicates"? Maybe I can get rid of them that way, but I am getting the awful feeling that everytime I make a change of an image in LR either iPhoto or something within LR is making a copy of that file number..... any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back