• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

need fast browser like onone perfect browse

Status
Not open for further replies.

grosloulou

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
hallo,
i have just tested the new release 9.5 of onone software
they mention it is a good frontend to lightroom
i have tested and it is very fast on my old pc, browser shows psd, jpg, nef thumbnails very quick
i read very often people like jason odell, matt kloskowsky,... use photo mechanic

so the conclusion today is :
if you want the slowest product on the market, use lightroom

all photographers like Mat, Scott Kelby, Frank salas,... want a fast browser and adobe is very proud to say they are slow because show all icons, keywords,... in grid view so it takes time

Has somebody already mentioned to Adobe they are wrong on this topic ?

just after importing i browse my 250 image in LR grid by gris and wait blur diappears and go to next grid and wait.
I could understand.
But when i come back one grid before LR displays it in blur again and re-compute

when we are in grid mode it is generally because we need quickly find something
we don't care all catalog infos behind it
or if some people care about that, adobe could add a checkbox in status bar "fast browsing"

no idea how other companies do fast browsing. perhaps just display the embedded jpg ?
so i suppose if you make bw conversion grid view doesn't show that bw ?

if there is a location to vote for improving this slow library module, please tell me

best regards
marc

Don't assume that your experience is the same as everyone else's. For me (and I assume millions of other photographers) Lightroom is near instantaneous in rendering images. Therefore we simply don't have an issue and don't require other applications besides LR.
There are many different ways to set up Lightroom and we all run it on a variety of different hardware platforms. So our experiences will differ. It might be worth looking to see how you're set up? Do you pre-render 1:1 preview images on import for example? That can have a huge effect on image load times.

The time I see an issue with LR is when using 2nd monitor, then I have to wait until the picture renders, mind the first is instant.

I have Lightroom and PPS 9.5 (upgraded yesterday), and in my opinion PPS would make a simply terrible front end to Lightroom. If you are using Lightroom to manage your images you neither want nor need a front end, and if you are not, then why use Lightroom at all. I can see PPS as a perfectly competent editor in its own right, or as a Lightroom plug in for things Lightroom cannot do, usually involving layers.

I find Lightroom browsing quite fast enough. If I did want something inexpensive to do some upfront culling, I'd probably opt for Faststone.

Dave

unfortunately perfect photo suite 9.5 doesn't import CF/SD card so i wonder which way they advise to use (viewnx2, explorer,...)
if LR was so fast photograph pro wouldn't criticize LR
On my pc with SSD, 16GB ram, super nvidia card LR library grid view is slow and blurry too much for my eyes
all applications on my pc are very fluent and fast so guilty is LR

And on my system it's not slow at all. Which is my point. I'm a professional photographer, I have tens of thousands of images in my current catalogue and I don't criticise LR because I don't have a problem with it's speed. And nor it seems do the others who have replied. If your experience with LR is poor and you're not willing to see if the problem might be specific to your set up then maybe don't use it at all, as has been suggested.

ok
which kind of setup do you advise for browsing from grid to grid in library without blur, hourglass,... ?
at import i just add copyright 3 keywords and make standard previews
i have intel core i7 930 at 2.8GHz 16GB ram ssd for lr and catalog and windows 7 64 bits
graphic card nvidia GTX460
photos are on a normal hard disk, no idea speed i don't see in system

onOne needs files already on HDD just drag across from camera card. Speedy because it only accesses the jpg within the RAW file. I use it, I also use DxO as it's auto function is better than LR's camera profile function for distortion, noise and CA. However, if I could only keep one program it would be LR, nothing else catalogues or tags as well. The develop and print modules are just the bees knees.

onOne needs files already on HDD just drag across from camera card. Speedy because it only accesses the jpg within the RAW file. I use it, I also use DxO as it's auto function is better than LR's camera profile function for distortion, noise and CA. However, if I could only keep one program it would be LR, nothing else catalogues or tags as well. The develop and print modules are just the bees knees.

hallo,
when you import in LR it imports and creates thumbs and adds some keywords... so there is nothing special in catalog.
when we browse the grids very often we don't want to see the icons saying there are keywords,... and there is generally nothing in develop settings so we expect snap
a "fast browsing" icon could allow disabling the fact it looks in catalog and displays the small icons. and it could display embedded jpg if we need.

when you create a BW development it has lot of time to create the thumb so coming back to grid view it could be snap too

i don't understand why there is so blurry between grids and in a grid

we could also imagine grids are generated in background and display quickly

lot of solutions I think

br
marc

For new imports Lightroom is a lousy browser. I shoot sports, and after a shoot speed is important. I use ViewNX (Nikon product) to transfer from the cards, and cull inside of it. It uses the full size preview in the Nikon raw image -- Lightroom insists on making its own, which is why it is slow. After I cull (usually down to 5-10%) I highlight them and drag and drop into Lightroom with a MOVE -- which is nearly instant since they are on the same disk.

Now with 10% of the images, I have time to actually use Lightroom, and this works out well. I wouldn't give up Lightroom's other features, but handling large volumes of new images is not its strength, at least not if you are in a hurry.

Once imported and (1:1) previews built, I find it browses nicely fast.

Frankly Lightroom could fix all this if they would provide an option to "Use built-in preview until explicit preview build". It's all that background ACR processing that keeps it from being a new-image browser.

And even this problem goes away if you import and then eat dinner rather than try to look at your images on an empty stomach. :mrgreen:

Frankly Lightroom could fix all this if they would provide an option to "Use built-in preview until explicit preview build".

Yup. I have asked, and more than once.

Browsers are browsers and Lr is a PIE. Different tools. I would like to see Lr incorporate a browser, which would then allow you to select and import. Then a pane that shows the browser, and one showing imported folders. AfterShot Pro sort of does this; it can be used as a browser or an importer/cataloger.

There are free browsers like XNView. Pretty quick. And of course Photo Mechanic. And they are fast and useful when you need just that. But what if those images are offline? then you need a catalog with previews. And if you use RAW, you are probably paying for something (i.e. Lr) that will process the RAW using it's own algorithms, hence the embedded JPEG may not be sufficient (although having that option for at least culling purposes or even comparison would be nice).

BTW, Mac users should check out SnapSelect by MacPhun. It's a very fast photo browser for dup finding and culling. It will find what it thinks are duplicates, not just by name. Handy for a group of shots you wanna select from. Or it can find by a timeline, so similar subjects are grouped. Then you can accept/reject. When you close, the info is sent to Lr and they show in a Snapselect collection as picks or rejects. I'd like to see them expand it a bit more, but it can be pretty handy.

Aperture has (had) a preview mode which accessed the embedded JPEGs. It was the ideal solution.

Browsers are browsers and Lr is a PIE. Different tools.

I agree they are, but I disagree this forgives Lightroom in this regard. Lightroom is above all a workflow tool, designed to support what you need from ingestion through archiving, with various stops along the way from publishing to printing to books. It excels in some, is weak in others (but even then it aims to be complete by providing a framework for attaching plugins and edit-in features).

Perhaps I'm a bit unusual living around the sports users who are always in a hurry, but the whole ingestion/coding/culling side is most weak -- adding features like Photo Mechanic but most importantly adding SPEED to this would complete that side of the workflow. I know a LOT of people who love lightroom but use different tools for ingestion and initial culling.

I agree they are, but I disagree this forgives Lightroom in this regard. Lightroom is above all a workflow tool, designed to support what you need from ingestion through archiving, with various stops along the way from publishing to printing to books. It excels in some, is weak in others (but even then it aims to be complete by providing a framework for attaching plugins and edit-in features).

Perhaps I'm a bit unusual living around the sports users who are always in a hurry, but the whole ingestion/coding/culling side is most weak -- adding features like Photo Mechanic but most importantly adding SPEED to this would complete that side of the workflow. I know a LOT of people who love lightroom but use different tools for ingestion and initial culling.

I agree 100%. I didn't mean to imply that Lr gets a pass on this feature. "Importing" (I don't even like the term; why not "referencing"?) is one of Lr's weakest points. Not only do you get worthless thumbnails that are impossible to use meaningfully, but you've got stupid stuff like the need to have photos in existing folders in order to import them. I also know sports photographers who use PM, and I'd love to have many of it's features. With bigger files, smaller drives (SSDs) and more photos I would really appreciate being able to get more work done at the import moment rather than afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back