• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Need advice for professional workflow using LR-Classic with LR-CC for iOS+iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlondon

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
  2. iOS
I'm a professional photographer using LR-Classic. I need the flexibility of the desktop based solution rather than LR-CC as I can customize for my specific needs (ability to rename files on import, storage on fast local RAID, advanced developing and printing, etc.).

However I would love to be able to use a new M1 iPad Pro to cull, select, rate, share, and even make some basic adjustments using LR-CC for iOS. This would be helpful when I'm at home so as to avoid too much time in front of a 30" monitor at my desk. But more importantly, I'd like to be able to use this workflow when I'm on traveling on location.

I experimented using LR-CC on iPad as my initial ingestion, then synching with LR-Classic, but there are too many problems, among them:
- Can not rename files on import
- Can not trust iPad as sole destination of imported images (when traveling with laptop, I can import, then immediately backup masters+updated library to an external SSD).
- Requires a fast internet connection with unlimited data, something which is usually not possible on location.

I'd like to hear from people who are successfully using LR-Classic as their primary tool, but have figured out how to integrate LR-CC for iOS into their workflow.

I use Synced Collections from Classic, so I can see them and work on them on my iPad Pro - the Smart Previews don't count towards my Cloud allowance and they're sufficient to be able to rate and do quick edits.

Check Chapter 22 Cloud Sync in your Classic FAQ (2nd Edition) for additional details on setting up.

I have integrated an iPadPro into my Lightroom Classic work flow. I am waiting on the arrival of my 1TB M1 iPadPro to replace the current one.

First I need to describe my LrC workflow and the steps I have taken to modify that to integrated Lightroom om the iPadPro. In LrC, I use a modified version of John Beardsworths » Workflow smart collections.

I rely upon colored labels to quickly indicate the process state of a an image. Lightroom (cloudy) does not support color labels or LrCs hierarchal keywords.

I have a 1TB photography plan. Lightroom rarely uses more than 200GB but certainly more than the base 20GB plan.

My 12.9" iPad Pro has replaced a 13" MBP. I use it to import my camera card in the field. These Imported images get sync'd to the cloud and back down to my master LrC catalog. (Often by the time I return home if I have a good internet connection at my field location.)

Lightroom Classic has sync'd most of my important pre-cloudy image as Smart DNG proxy images These don't count against my 1TB storage plan.

Renaming files on import is completely unnecessary. I've never used that or needed to rename cataloged file in Lightroom. Lightroom does not need or use file names. these are irrelevant and IMO a wasted effort in an efficient workflow. A date named folder scheme is essential if you are going to integrate Lightroom into a Lightroom Classic workflow. I recommend that you adopt one if you haven't already and set your Lightroom Classic Lightroom Sync Preferences to match your Classic date named folder scheme. You are going to use Smart Collections for organization and since Lightroom does not have a Smart Collection capability, you can ignore Lightroom Albums or use them only for local Lightroom (cloudy) temporary organization.

If you insist on renaming files in Lightroom, I'd recommend renaming on Export or Saving that operation as a batch process after you r Lr Images have been sync'd to LrC.

My modified workflow is as follows:
  1. Insert a camera card into a card reader attached to my iPad Pro. (BTW, Apple has a new keyboard for the iPadPro, It comes with a charging port and frees up the iPadPro USB-C port for data only ).
  2. I import my images from the card into Lightroom. If I am going to be away from home and regular backups, I will make a second copy to a 1TB external SSD so that there are two devices that have a copy of my image data. I use a 64GB XQD camera card and do not erase it until I have two copies of my master image files AND the camera card is full. (IOW three master image copies when in the field).
  3. After import into Lightroom, I use free time to cull, rate. flag images.
  4. Additionally, I make some basic edits especially cropping.
  5. If I want to share from Lightroom, I will create local albums from the edited images and share those. Later I may recreate these "albums". as LrC "Collections".
  6. When I return to home base and my master LrC catalog, my images are already imported or will be within. a few minutes of getting home. These will contain all of the Lightroom (cloudy) adjustments and metadata (except for keywords).
  7. Back in LrC, I add keywords, color labels, and final size my workflow to finish the images for publication and/or printing.
Some additional comments about Keywords, Albums etc.
Since integration with Lightroom, my hierarchal keywords are a mess, I keep hoping that Adobe will integrate and sync LrC and Lr keywords even if that means staying with a flat non hierarchal keyword system.
I've looked into integration Lightroom (albums) with Adobe Portfolio, That seems a workable web solution and can be accomplished in Lightroom Classic with static Collections sync'd to Lightroom Albums added to Adobe Portfolio. I also have hope that some day Adobe might find a way to managed smart collections as "smart" albums in Lightroom.

Adobe Behance is another product that has possibilities. It once was offered as a Lightroom Classic publish service, but no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back