• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! New cameras (including the Canon R5/R6), lens profiles and bug fixes, and the ability to disable built-in lens corrections for specific new cameras. Here's the usual list

Naming your date folders on Import

Mark Sirota

Lightroom Experience
Power User
A common recommendation is to organize your folders by date, but to also give each a name so you can easily find them outside Lightroom. For example, you might have folders called:

• [li]2''9-'7-'1 Beach[/li]
    [li]2''9-'7-'2 Birthday Party[/li]
    [li]2''9-'7-'4 Fireworks[/li]
Doug Young pointed out to me an easy way to do this I'd never known about. First, In the Import Dialog, choose Organize by Date and select your favorite structure (or create your own).

Now here's the part that's new to me: In the folder list, double-click each line and add the text as you wish. (See attached screen shot.) You can also change any other part of the folder name.

It's as simple as that. Far simpler than doing it after import! Thanks, Doug!

Sean McCormack points out that this tip is also in his book.

Last edited by a moderator: