• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

My Lightroom images load slow

Lisa Hinzman

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
My Lightroom Catalog is stored on my computer but the images are stored on a Lacie NAS. After I import images into lightroom and start culling, the images are loading super slow. Are there settings in Lightroom to speed this up? Should I directly attach my router directly to my computer?

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
There are different things you can do to retreive a better performance but you could start easy with making 1 on 1 previews on import. The culling part should be a lot faster then.

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Ok, than it's more complex.
One other option is to attach the storage direct to your computer via USB or so. Direct attaching the computer to the router does not do much i think, exept when you are using WIFI now.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Are you culling in the Library module or the Develop module? If you are in Develop, LR shows you an image built right then from the master copy on the NAS, but if you're in Library, it uses the previews that got built on import, and those previews are stored locally, in the same folder as your catalogue. In that case, LR won't be looking at the images on your NAS and shouldn't spend as much time loading.