• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

multiple versions of pix downloaded into Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDRothenberg

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
When I take pix with my iPhone 12 Pro the pictures go to LR and then to Classic. When they arrive in Classic there are two copies: one is a version with the curl tip at the bottom left of the picture and the other looks like a regular picture. Why is this, and how can I quickly delete the extra copy? Second, note that the file sizes are identical at 12.2 MP.
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 2.19.09 PM.png

Have you imported the pictures, and allowed them to sync via LrMobile? I think that would account for having the photo and the virtual copy (left).

Thanks and yes, that's what I do. But two questions remain: how can I easily sift through and delete the duplicates? And if one is a version as per the curl at the bottom left corner, why does it still show 12.2 MP? I don't want to inadvertently delete the original.

Thanks and yes, that's what I do. But two questions remain: how can I easily sift through and delete the duplicates? And if one is a version as per the curl at the bottom left corner, why does it still show 12.2 MP? I don't want to inadvertently delete the original.

Both are copies of the same original. The difference being that Lightroom Classic saw a different history between the one you imported manually and the one sync’d from Adobe cloud. Lightroom is smart enough to only store on original with two process histories. It designated one of these and the master copy and the other as the virtual copy. Which ever copy you want to removed from the catalog is up to you. But you probably want to be consistent and only remove master copies or virtual copies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that helpful and detailed explanation. Now that we've answered that question, my remaining question is how to quickly find and delete the right half of each pair? What metadata or text can we search on? As mentioned, and depicted in my screenshot, both say 12.2MP.

The image on the right is the Master Copy. The one on the left has the lower turned up corner indicating that it is a virtual copy. You can filter by file type and then filter for master or virtual copies in the filter bar. Once toy have select the master copies where a virtual copy exists, yo can select these and choose REMOVE to remove them from the catalog carefully making sure that you do not delete them from the disk. After removing the master copy of adjustments, the virtual copy will get permitted to a new master.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please be sure that you understand that there is only ONE and ONLY ONE image file in your computer- DO NOT DELETE it!
The Preview with the curled-up corner is a Virtual Copy- just another way to display (and Develop/Edit) the one master file.
You can easily filter for VIRTUAL COPIES on the Filter Bar, if you click on 'Attribute' you have an icon that will select and show ONLY the Virtual Copies. (above my cursor in my screen-clip)
Click on the icon for VCs and you can then select and 'REMOVE' the Virtual Copies (and NOT the Master file).
Also be aware a Virtual Copy may have the Edits that you have worked hard to achieve- that should not be lost if you remove it.
2021-06-18 08_08_43-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

thanks for all your quick and in-depth replies. I think in the past I've DELETED rather than REMOVEd the virtual copies. I've spent a lot of time searching for old memory cards to find the originals and import them back into my computer.

And to stop this recurring, just let new phone photos arrive in your catalogue / hard drive via LrMobile and don't import the photos directly again.

It looks like you have LrMobile set up so that it automatically imports HEIC files shot by your phone's iOS camera, and you have Sync enabled in your catalogue. So that's all you would need to do. I find it's the easiest way to handle these photos.

But do test this, just in case there is some other explanation.

I'm a little confused now. My LR Mobile is set up as per file below. Should I uncheck the currently checked box? I don't recall directly importing photos in the past, unless this is what you mean.
My goal is to have my iPhone pix go to LR Mobile for editing and then to the Adobe cloud before setting originals into LR Classic. Could you please be a bit more specific about what settings to do where? This would be greatly appreciated. I am working with iOS camera, LR Mobile and LRClassic. The goal is to get iPhone pix into LR Classic smoothly and easily.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 6.57.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 6.57.15 AM.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 85
That's not a screenshot from LrMobile, that screenshot is from the Lightroom Desktop app (which in all probability you do not need to be using if you are still running Lightroom Classic).

Open the LR app on your iPhone and take a screenshot of the Import tab of the app's main Settings menu. Post it here. The simple fact is that if it's setup correctly (as we suspect it is) any new pictures taken on the phone (using either the native camera or the Lr app's camera) will automatically upload to the Adobe cloud, and from there they will automatically download into your Classic catalog. There should be no need whatsoever to try to import images directly from phone to desktop.

That's not a screenshot from LrMobile, that screenshot is from the Lightroom Desktop app (which in all probability you do not need to be using if you are still running Lightroom Classic).

Open the LR app on your iPhone and take a screenshot of the Import tab of the app's main Settings menu. Post it here. The simple fact is that if it's setup correctly (as we suspect it is) any new pictures taken on the phone (using either the native camera or the Lr app's camera) will automatically upload to the Adobe cloud, and from there they will automatically download into your Classic catalog. There should be no need whatsoever to try to import images directly from phone to desktop.
IMG_5A0E45A9A338-1 2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back