• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Multiple Libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Heuer

Benevolent Dictator of Global Bacon Distribution
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System: OSX Mavericks
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): CC

Looking for suggestions as to how those of you with larger libraries manage them. I have a MacBook Pro with a 500GB SSD that is getting full, and my performance is crawling.

My thought is two create two active Lightroom libraries:
1) Current (Say past year or so) where I have photos that I'll likely go back and work on. Stored locally on the SSD.
2) Archived, older than ~1 year where I'm less likely to work on photos. This library is stored on an external 5TB drive. Performance is slower, but unlikely to impact me 90% of the time.

Question: Is this a solid approach, or would it be best to have one library, and just moved specific folders to the offline storage but all kept within the same library? I'm a little (ok, a lot) pedantic with my folder naming structure and organization, so I'm trying to get this right.

[Edit: Typo]

As long as the library and its previews fit on the SSD, it much better to move photo folders from the SSD to the external disk and keep using one single library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back