Status
Not open for further replies.

jemostrom

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
First: I'm fairly new to Lightroom so I might be missing something obvious.

I'm moving my photos into Lightroom, before actually starting to do this I looked at "Organizing your photos with Lightroom 5" by Peter Krogh to figure out how to best manage my photos. And I'm basically doing what he suggests (which is similar to how I had it organized in Aperture): one library with all photos. This works well ... mostly.

One thing I really appreciate with Lightroom are the different publish services available, it's very nice just to drag the photos into different services and just press "publish now".

And here we come to my problems:

Problem 1: I keyword and write captions in Swedish since most of the photos I have are "targeted" for those who know Swedish. But once in a while I like to publish photos to for example Flickr where it's more fun/useful to have the keywords and captions in English. For keywords this is simple since I use the alias feature and put the English translation there while the keywords are in Swedish. But this doesn't work for title/caption - and since I might publish the same photo to a "swedish" and an "english" site it makes no sense to re-write the title/caption in another language.

Is there some way to handle this? Like writing both Swedish and English comments and in the publish service define what language to use?

Problem 2: Related to the problem above, I'm just an amateur taking photos for my own pleasure (hopefully my family and friends enjoy them also). Because of this I might add keywords that are "private" or at least ones that I wouldn't upload to for example Flickr. If I were uploading to just one site this wouldn't be a problem since I can control which keywords gets exported in the keyword detail dialog ... but if I upload one photo to both a private and a public site I can't figure out how to do this (for example the keyword "dogs" would be OK on both sites but "percival smith" is desirable on the family site but not on the public site), or if it is possible at all.

For example: the metadata section in the Flickr export let me select some metadata to export but I can't select "not these keyword hierarchies" for a certain site.

The only solution I've come up with is to keep two libraries: one master library with all the info and a "publish publicly library" with developed jpegs with the appropriate keywords/title/captions. This is something I've tried during my Aperture days and it became a mess and a lot of extra work (especially if I modify the photo and/or metadata in some way).

I expect that I'm not the only one who have this problem and someone has probably a good solution to these problems ... and I would love to hear how to do it.

I should perhaps mention that I'm using Lightroom 5 but if version 6 have a solution to this I'm willing to update.

Depends how geeky you are....

Two catalogues doesn't sound too bad an idea. Or you might be able to use Headline for the English title, and Title for the Swedish, then publish to Flickr using the headlines. But then there's the caption.

I'd probably handle it by using custom fields and scripts. For each field, I would shadow it with a pair of custom fields. So let's say you enter the caption in Swedish, but you want to output some files with English captions. You have entered the English in a field called "Caption-en". So the script first copies the Swedish caption into "Caption-sw", and then copies "Caption-en" to the caption field.

It's not something everyone would want to do, but it's not too high tech. And in short, there's not an easy way.

John

I'd probably handle it by using custom fields and scripts.
Thanks for the idea, for some reason I've always thought that Lightroom can't be scripted ... hmm, Lua - I haven't looked at that language for at least 10 years but it was quite simple if I remember correctly. Once again, thanks for the idea - I'm going to take a look at this.

First: I'm fairly new to Lightroom so I might be missing something obvious.

I'm moving my photos into Lightroom, before actually starting to do this I looked at "Organizing your photos with Lightroom 5" by Peter Krogh to figure out how to best manage my photos. And I'm basically doing what he suggests (which is similar to how I had it organized in Aperture): one library with all photos. This works well ... mostly.

One thing I really appreciate with Lightroom are the different publish services available, it's very nice just to drag the photos into different services and just press "publish now".

And here we come to my problems:

Problem 1: I keyword and write captions in Swedish since most of the photos I have are "targeted" for those who know Swedish. But once in a while I like to publish photos to for example Flickr where it's more fun/useful to have the keywords and captions in English. For keywords this is simple since I use the alias feature and put the English translation there while the keywords are in Swedish. But this doesn't work for title/caption - and since I might publish the same photo to a "swedish" and an "english" site it makes no sense to re-write the title/caption in another language.

Is there some way to handle this? Like writing both Swedish and English comments and in the publish service define what language to use?

Problem 2: Related to the problem above, I'm just an amateur taking photos for my own pleasure (hopefully my family and friends enjoy them also). Because of this I might add keywords that are "private" or at least ones that I wouldn't upload to for example Flickr. If I were uploading to just one site this wouldn't be a problem since I can control which keywords gets exported in the keyword detail dialog ... but if I upload one photo to both a private and a public site I can't figure out how to do this (for example the keyword "dogs" would be OK on both sites but "percival smith" is desirable on the family site but not on the public site), or if it is possible at all.

For example: the metadata section in the Flickr export let me select some metadata to export but I can't select "not these keyword hierarchies" for a certain site.

The only solution I've come up with is to keep two libraries: one master library with all the info and a "publish publicly library" with developed jpegs with the appropriate keywords/title/captions. This is something I've tried during my Aperture days and it became a mess and a lot of extra work (especially if I modify the photo and/or metadata in some way).

I expect that I'm not the only one who have this problem and someone has probably a good solution to these problems ... and I would love to hear how to do it.

I should perhaps mention that I'm using Lightroom 5 but if version 6 have a solution to this I'm willing to update.

Why don't you make virtual copies of those images. Virtual copies are mostly used to have different edits of the same file, but you can change any metadata, so also just the keywords and captions.

Why don't you make virtual copies of those images. Virtual copies are mostly used to have different edits of the same file, but you can change any metadata, so also just the keywords and captions.

Thanks for the idea!

Right now I'm trying all kind of things, trying not to get influenced by experiences from other programs I've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back