• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Multiple catalogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudel.lemieux

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Can you confirm... With LR CC (Cloud version) I understand the user can have one and only one catalog. I would certainly make use of more than one (as I do with LR CC Classic) if at al possible.

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Using the cloud version, although there is a local catalog it's used to keep track locally of what's in the cloud. The whole concept of the cloud is that you don't have catalogs or folders (so no, you don't have multiple catalogs with the cloud version, it's one of the distinctions with Classic)

Can you confirm... With LR CC (Cloud version) I understand the user can have one and only one catalog. I would certainly make use of more than one (as I do with LR CC Classic) if at al possible.
Paul has the definitive answer. But I have a question, why do you think you need more than one catalog? The only reason it is ever suggested that you have more than one catalog is for commercial business rules that require client data to be separate.
Lightroom Classic can handle hundreds of thousands of images organized in a single catalog. You can not search across catalogs so any segregation of images is best handled through the use of Collections.

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Using the cloud version, although there is a local catalog it's used to keep track locally of what's in the cloud. The whole concept of the cloud is that you don't have catalogs or folders (so no, you don't have multiple catalogs with the cloud version, it's one of the distinctions with Classic)
Thanks for confirming my understanding Paul. Have a great day. Cl
Paul has the definitive answer. But I have a question, why do you think you need more than one catalog? The only reason it is ever suggested that you have more than one catalog is for commercial business rules that require client data to be separate.
Lightroom Classic can handle hundreds of thousands of images organized in a single catalog. You can not search across catalogs so any segregation of images is best handled through the use of Collections.
Wright. One catalog fits most users. In LRCC Classic I use a couple of specific catalogs when I teach classes as I don't necessarily want to mix up whatever I do in a live class with my day to day work.

Wright. One catalog fits most users. In LRCC Classic I use a couple of specific catalogs when I teach classes as I don't necessarily want to mix up whatever I do in a live class with my day to day work.
These teaching catalogs are not your master catalog and can be used for teaching LR Classic but your master catalog is still the only one that you sync to the cloud. If you need to teach Lightroom for the cloud, you can get a second license dedicated to teaching and not mix teaching with your master data

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to Lightroom Forums Claudel. But this intrigues me: why didn't you upgrade to at least Lightroom 3.6 (latest of version 3). Note that there are big new additions to teach from newer versions as Maps/Geotagging, Video Basic Editing and Export, Soft Proofing and more...

Denis, the OP is referring to the Lighroom "cloudy" desktop app, currently at version 3.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back