Multiple catalogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgman

Hi,

Is it possible to have 2 catalogs in the same directory/folder without 'screwing up'? It would be easier for the backup.

If not, how do I move the current catalog to a sub-directory so that both catalogs are subdirectories of the same directory?

Thanks

Syv

Lightroom works best as a single catalogue - it's hard enough to keep control of thousands of pictures without fragmenting control into different catalogues. However, you can keep different catalogues in the same folder. You just move the catalogue in Explorer.

You can do it either way, though personally I'd recommend the second method (well I would say that, as that's the way I do it!).

Create a "Catalog Parent Folder", with a sub-folder for each of the two catalogs. With Lightroom closed, drag one of the catalogs and its associated Previews folder into one of the new sub-folders, drag the other catalog and Previews folder into the other. Double-click on one of the catalogs, which will launch Lightroom and at the same time it will update the Preferences file with the new catalog location. Once it's open, do File>Open Catalog and select the other catalog....that will open the other catalog and again update the Preferences file with the new location.

After that, you need to decide how you want Lightroom to be started. I use the "Prompt me" method, so I can then select the catalog I want to use.

I'd put a shortcut to each catalogue on the desktop and doubleclick the one I wanted to work with.

Possibly, if I only had two to worry about......but last count I had 9 catalogs in my "Prompt Me" list, so that's probably much easier than finding the correct desktop shortcut.

True. I was indeed thinking of just two. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back