• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Multiple Catalogs and People Recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

les_stockton

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I currently use just one catalog in Lightroom, and it has photos from several years of work. For performance, I thought maybe it would be good to start a new catalog each year or two, but I'm afraid if I do that, I would lose the benefit of the people recognition feature, that I've managed to build up quite a bit with current photos in the current catalog. Switching to a new catalog would mean starting entirely over with the new catalog, right?

Lightroom can handle very large catalogs without a problem. Mine contains 160,000 images. What performance problems/improvements do you expect from using multiple catalogs?

Yes, you start the training/learning process over with each new catalog.
As Johan asked, why do you create a new catalog?

Mine is just slow when first starting up. But I really was relying on the advice of others. My preference would be to continue with a single catalog. I hear that's bad; bad for performance.

Mine is just slow when first starting up. But I really was relying on the advice of others. My preference would be to continue with a single catalog. I hear that's bad; bad for performance.

It's not.

You did not hear that from anyone knowledgable that uses LR. It certainly did not original at this forum or from Adobe. The only legitimate reason to use multiple catalogs is when Business rules prohibit mixing client data. And this has nothing to do with performance.

The only performance hit is when Lightroom makes a catalog backup with verification and optimising. For a small travel catalog this takes one or two minutes, for my master catalog it takes 10 to 15 minutes. Apart from that, I do not see a performance hit in my day to day work with my master catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back