• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Multiple Catalog files, can I delete some and if so, which ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crshlagor

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I'm fairly new to Lightroom Classic so I can't explain how I ended up with all these catalog files. I only want to work with one catalog. I'm afraid to delete anything but I can't imagine all of these are needed. Lightroom was closed when I looked these up in Finder and I thought that the wal and lock files are only supposed to show up when Lightroom open? Any suggestions on how to clean this up?

1633902797454.png

The top two entries starting "Temporary Import Data" can be deleted.

The next 5 entries, starting "Lightroom Catalog-current-V10" belong to the catalog that you are currently using, so they must not be touched.

The next 4 entries, starting "Lightroom Catalog-2" can be deleted, also the final entry (Lightroom Catalog-2 Smart Previews.lrdata) belongs to this group so it can also be deleted.

The next entry, "Lightroom Catalog-current.lrcat" would seem to be the catalog you were using this time last year, which was then replaced with the "-v10" version when you updated Classic to version 10. At this stage it seems improbable that you would ever need to use it again (it can't be used in the current version of LrC), so you can either delete it or archive it by moving it somewhere else, e.g. into a "Catalog Archive" folder.

The top two entries starting "Temporary Import Data" can be deleted.

The next 5 entries, starting "Lightroom Catalog-current-V10" belong to the catalog that you are currently using, so they must not be touched.

The next 4 entries, starting "Lightroom Catalog-2" can be deleted, also the final entry (Lightroom Catalog-2 Smart Previews.lrdata) belongs to this group so it can also be deleted.

The next entry, "Lightroom Catalog-current.lrcat" would seem to be the catalog you were using this time last year, which was then replaced with the "-v10" version when you updated Classic to version 10. At this stage it seems improbable that you would ever need to use it again (it can't be used in the current version of LrC), so you can either delete it or archive it by moving it somewhere else, e.g. into a "Catalog Archive" folder.
Thank you so much, I appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back