Moving to Universal apps on MacOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcasan

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
It was nice to see Photoshop and ACR move to native mode Apple Silicon by becoming "Universal" apps. PS was definitely faster on my M1 Mini. With PS, ACR, and Lr all moved to native mode, we are just waiting for the move of LrC to Universal status. Hopefully that will also give a performance bump.

Also good to have the new camera profile for Apple ProRAW DNG files. Terry White had a good video showing how much saturation and contrast the new profile adds compared to use the Adobe Color profile.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.07.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.07.41 PM.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 184
I spoke too soon. ACR on my Mini is still an Intel app. I guess Adobe will release both ACR and LRC for as Universal apps at the same time. Hopefully that will be no later than the April product marketing event.

Anyone seen or heard anything about any beta testing of ACR and LrC for Apple Silicon?

Anyone seen or heard anything about any beta testing of ACR and LrC for Apple Silicon?
Adobe discontinued Public Beat testing several years ago. (Some might say that they discontinued beta testing all to gether at that time based upon the release of some of the more buggy products released to the paying public.)

It is true that Adobe did not do public betas for a number of years. But in March 2020, there was an official announcement that Adobe was making public betas available, initially for a range of the Adobe video apps (Premiere, After Effects…) Then later in 2020, after the initial release of Apple Silicon Macs, the Photoshop team posted a public beta of Photoshop running native on Apple Silicon.

Public beta availability appears to be up to the individual product teams, because the video applications and Illustrator are there in the “Beta apps” list in the Creative Cloud app, but Lightroom Classic, InDesign, and others don’t seem to be available as public betas (yet?). (Photoshop was removed from the public beta list, probably because Apple Silicon support is now part of the normal Photoshop installation.)

Actually they introduced public beta testing again. Open your CC app and you should see a 'Beta apps' tab in the list. But there is no Lightroom Classic beta in that tab.
There are no Lightroom Apps at all in that list. So in a way, I am still correct. I enjoyed being a part of the Beta testing in the earlier version of Lightroom. Bummer!

There are no Lightroom Apps at all in that list. So in a way, I am still correct. I enjoyed being a part of the Beta testing in the earlier version of Lightroom. Bummer!
AFAIK, Lightroom (cloud) is already a Universal application.

AFAIK, Lightroom (cloud) is already a Universal application.

And so is Photoshop. The issue of offering betas for user testing does not AFAIK apply apply to Universal Applications and did exist in the past for Lightroom (Standalone).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know, but my point is that a having public beta of Lightroom (Classic or otherwise) would mainly make sense if there was something special to test, such as M1 compatibility. It does not make much sense for the general small point updates. So for Lightroom Classic it would make sense, but for Lightroom desktop that has already passed. AFAIK, Photoshop had a public M1 beta, but now the app is universal so I assume the public beta is no longer available (I don't have a M1 Mac so I won't see it if it is still available).

I know, but my point is that a having public beta of Lightroom (Classic or otherwise) would mainly make sense if there was something special to test,.
So here we are with LrC v10.2 and still there are issues that a public beta would have uncovered that are still not fixed. LrC V10.0 WAS the beta. As was v10.1 and 10.1.1. By releasing these as gold versions, Adobe has gotten a reputation for releasing buggy software. People expect to find bugs in the beta releases. People also expect the paid release version to be (relatively) bug free.
If the upgrade from V9.x to v10.0 had nothing special to test, how come so many existing features that worked without complaint in V9.x. Arrived broken in v10.0? Do you see my point?

I do see your point and I'm not the one who takes decisions about beta testing at Adobe. My point was that public betas are usually different from normal beta testing, which is done in secret. Lightroom Classic is beta tested before it is released, just like any other application. It's true that normal beta testing won't discover all the bug that could possibly in the software. Some bugs only manifest themselves in very specific setups, some other bugs only show in fairly rare cases. They can slip past a beta testing group which is limited in size, but when millions of people start using the software they will be detected. Such is life.I have yet to see bug free software. Yes, Adobe could call every release a 'public beta' to avoid criticism, but in the end that would just be releasing the same software under another name. They chose not to do that, and keep a 'public beta test' for special things like a change to a new platform .

Quite frankly I think that the current situation, where releases are often quite buggy, is a direct negative result of the subscription system. In the past, Adobe would release a major new version every two years or so. Of course there would be many more new features in such a major release than in the current two months releases, but that meant that some new features could be beta tested for almost two years, and other new features for perhaps one year, or at least many months. Only some last minute additions would be tested for a much shorter time, but there was much less pressure. New versions would be released when ready, not at fixed intervals, and it would also be easier to leave a last minute addition out if there were still doubts. Today there is a two month release schedule so something is expected every two months.

My point was that public betas are usually different from normal beta testing, which is done in secret. Lightroom Classic is beta tested before it is released, just like any other application.
In the past, I have participated in the "private" beta testing conducted by Adobe. I would not call it secret but the beta testers are chosen by invitation. . It consists of a small group of people with a limited hardware set (usually high end). Since the testing is not done by the general public, the broad spectrum of user equipment is never exposed to the newest compiled code.

What really irritates me about new upgrades and updates is that they always seem to introduce new bugs in areas of code that have nothing to with the new feature being added.

In the past, I have participated in the "private" beta testing conducted by Adobe. I would not call it secret but the beta testers are chosen by invitation. . It consists of a small group of people with a limited hardware set (usually high end). Since the testing is not done by the general public, the broad spectrum of user equipment is never exposed to the newest compiled code.
Correct. Even if there is a fairly large group of beta testers, they cannot test on all the possible hardware setups that the general public might use. With 'secret' I simply mean that Adobe beta-testers are not officially listed somewhere and beta-testers aren't even allowed to openly say that they are beta testers.

What really irritates me about new upgrades and updates is that they always seem to introduce new bugs in areas of code that have nothing to with the new feature being added.
Yes, it is always irritating if something like that happens. The explanation often is that old code is regularly updated, to keep the product compatible with the latest version of MacOS or Windows. So even if some code has nothing to do with a new feature, it may still have changed and that change can cause bugs. Adobe also rewrites existing code to try to make the product faster. That too can introduce bugs.

... So even if some code has nothing to do with a new feature, it may still have changed and that change can cause bugs. Adobe also rewrites existing code to try to make the product faster. That too can introduce bugs.
Which is exactly why public betas are necessary. Adobe is still having this “public beta” but using the “.0”, “.1” and “.1.1” releases to ALL paid subscribers. Some customers don’t want to to participate and act as guinea pigs with their mission critical data. Others, like you and I may be more comfortable taking such risks. How many commercial users working on dead lines are installing the Adobe releases only to discover that the recommended update has crashed their machine at a critical part of their workflow. This is an avoidable consequence of not having public betas. If instead of LrC v10.0, Adobes had released the same code as LrC v10.0b (beta) I think customer appreciation for the Adobe products might improve.

Males me wonder why porting ACR or LrC Develop module to Apple Silicon is taking so long. Is the delay more than just porting and also has more redesign work to offer significantly more speed or some new features? Hopefully Adobe can release it by the June WWDC event, if not before.

A major competitor related their beta today for native Apple Silicon and Metal support. I can only guess that will go live by the end of May. Let's hope Adobe will soon release LrC and ACR for native Apple Silicon.

Of course that means any plugins anyone wants to use with that version also needed to be updated for Apple Silicon. The same would apply to plugins used with LrC, or Ps updated for Apple Silicon native mode.. So if you do use 3rd party plugins and you are on an M1 Mac or are planning to move to an M1 Mac, start asking the plugin vendors for the Apple Silicon version.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 3.42.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 3.42.01 PM.png
    406.6 KB · Views: 165
Speaking of plugins....On1 has committed to having Apple Silicon native products this summer. “We are working on the arm64 port currently. It will be part of a free update to Photo RAW 2021 this summer, probably June.”

So hopefully their full Photo Raw app and the related plugins should then be able to be used in native mode with C1P (native mode should be out by end of May) and with Ps. When we ever get LrC and ACR on native mode, those On1 plugins should work with them as well. Should make for an interesting summer and fall.

Not heard any hints about Topaz or DxO releasing native Apple Silicon versions.

Today Phase One had a Facebook session where they were giving some basic benchmark differences of using an M1 Mac vs recent Intel based MacBooks. They mentioned that when they opened up the code to use Metal for M1 machines, they also improved the graphics routines for the Intel machines. They are supposed to have a live session on Thursday with some designers to talk about the technical improvements. This should be part of setting the stage for the pending C1P dot release that supports Apple Silicon.

The important thing about this is that may mean of the developers of photo editing apps could be making improvements to their products that run on x86 when they update for Apple ARM. In the case of C1P, I imagine we know more by the first of June.

Exciting times!!!

Thursday Phase One will have a Facebook event to talk about the impacts of moving their photo app from x86 to also supporting Apple Silicon. They hinted yesterday that there will be benefits also for those using x86.

This might gives us all more info about what to expect and want from a photo app vendor when they add Apple Silicon support to their Mac products.

https://www.facebook.com/events/324...p;notif_t=event_calendar_create&ref=notif

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 12.08.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 12.08.57 PM.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 158
Today Phase One released Capture One 21 (14.2.0) with native Apple Silicon Support

Capture One 21 (14.2.0) is a release containing new hardware support, new operating system support, new camera and lens support, and important bug fixes.

Capture One 21 (14.2.0) is natively supported on Apple Silicon (M1) machines. Additionally, Hardware Acceleration on Apple Silicon (M1) machines will run through Metal. Hardware Acceleration on Windows and Intel-based Apple machines still runs through OpenCL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back