• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Moving to new Apple Mini from iMac. Can I use Migration Assistant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael L

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic Version 10.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I am thinking of purchasing the new Apple Mini and moving everything over from my current iMac. I use Lightroom Classic (subscription) and have all my photos on an external hard drive. I know you have an E-Book on the subject on moving to a new computer. But, can't I just plug in my external hard drive with photos to the Mini and then use Apple's Migration Assistant to "install" Lightroom from my old iMac? Again, I will not be moving or copying any photos, although I realize I may have to help Lightroom find the photos on the external drive once installed. What don't I understand?

Yes, Migration Assistant works fine for that. Lightroom does not even have to find the photos again, because they are still in the exact same place.

Thanks for your quick response, John. Looks like things just got a bit easier in the change to a new Mini.

FWIW, I've always used Migration Assistant when transferring my user files (and apps) to a new Mac computer. There is even a "Migration Assistant" for Windows if you are a Windows user that wants to move up to a Mac.

The link, Moving Lightroom to a New Computer - New FREE eBook | The Lightroom Queen is designed only for Lightroom files and is generic enough for both Windows and Mac.

I'll be doing the same thing this weekend from my existing MacBook Pro to a new MacBook Pro. I got so tunnel visioned on the information/how-to in the eBook, (which is very good by the way!), that it never occurred to me to use Migration Assistant. And while I knew of Migration Assistant's existence, this will be my first time using it. However, as all of my image files reside on an external hard drive, it seems the most efficient way to do it.

So...in the few minutes since making my post (above), I've been reading on Migration Assistant and am a bit confused...

When moving the LR files from my old Mac to the new, I understand I need to install the LR app on the new Mac first, and that the external hard drive where my image files are stored is to be connected to the new Mac to complete the migration. Is there a sequence to move the LR files from the old computer to the new? Should I move the LR files (LRCAT Helper, Lightroom Catalog Previews, etc.) via Migration Assistant first, and then connect the external drive to finish the install?

What you need to do is use Migration Assistant to 'restore' your new computer from a Time Machine backup of the old one. That backup is an entirely other disk than your photo disk! If you do not have a Time Machine backup, then you can use Migration Assistant by connecting the old computer in 'target disk mode' to the new one. Your photo disk is never used in this procedure.

After Migration Assistant has finished, you connect your photo disk to the new computer, start Lightroom and you should be good to go (you probably have to log in with the CC App before you do this).

What you need to do is use Migration Assistant to 'restore' your new computer from a Time Machine backup of the old one. That backup is an entirely other disk than your photo disk! If you do not have a Time Machine backup, then you can use Migration Assistant by connecting the old computer in 'target disk mode' to the new one. Your photo disk is never used in this procedure.

After Migration Assistant has finished, you connect your photo disk to the new computer, start Lightroom and you should be good to go (you probably have to log in with the CC App before you do this).
Thanks Johan!

I do have my Time Machine backup on it's own HD. The articles I was reading on using Migration Assistant presented using Time Machin Backup as just one of many options to do the task - which, of course, it is. I hadn't read about it as the preferred option. Time Machine 'restores' the new Mac, then I log in to Adobe CC if needed, connect my HD containing my images, and off I go? This sounds much simpler.

Thanks Johan!

I do have my Time Machine backup on it's own HD. The articles I was reading on using Migration Assistant presented using Time Machin Backup as just one of many options to do the task - which, of course, it is. I hadn't read about it as the preferred option. Time Machine 'restores' the new Mac, then I log in to Adobe CC if needed, connect my HD containing my images, and off I go? This sounds much simpler.
It is indeed much simpler. I have done this multiple times and all you need is a few clicks and then some coffee.

Help!

I've got the new MacBook Pro 16, and am setting up to do the migration of data from the old machine to the new one via my Time Machine backup...thing is, the new Mac isn't mounting the external drive with the Time Machine backups. The external drive seems to be working, getting warm, light flashing, etc., but after an hour, the Mac is still spinning and searching for a 'source.'

Thoughts?

As regarding my above post - I think I realize the issue - the old Mac was updated to OS Big Sur, whereas the new Mac has OS Catalina. I attempted to migrate from Mac to Mac and it alerted me to the issue...

So, the new one is updating now - fingers crossed!

UPDATE:

All is done and seems to be well. The migration didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would, and once I figured out the OS conflict, it was super easy.

UPDATE:

All is done and seems to be well. The migration didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would, and once I figured out the OS conflict, it was super easy.
Great! It makes sense that if your source Backup is of a BigSur Mac, the restore target needs to be of that version or later.

Great! It makes sense that if your source Backup is of a BigSur Mac, the restore target needs to be of that version or later.
It does indeed make sense - It just never occurred to me! Fortunately, everything seems to be doing well; the only thing I've encountered thus far has been one scrambled bookmark...

Thanks for your quick response, John. Looks like things just got a bit easier in the change to a new Mini.
UPDATE:

Glad that it worked. Which method did you use? Time Machine or direct hookup? If direct hookup, how did you accomplish that?

Thanks

Glad that it worked. Which method did you use? Time Machine or direct hookup? If direct hookup, how did you accomplish that?

Thanks
i used the Time Machine method. Once I got the new Mac updated to Big Sur v11.1, it went smoothly and a lot faster than I expected it to.

i used the Time Machine method. Once I got the new Mac updated to Big Sur v11.1, it went smoothly and a lot faster than I expected it to.
Thanks, Bill. Appreciate all your comments. Looks like I will use Time machine once i get my Mini early next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back