Moving to a new computer - transfer files *before* installing Lightroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenshauge

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. iOS
In the pdf "Adobe Lightroom – Moving to a new computer", chapter 1, page 2, it says "Transfer everything" and then "Install Lightroom". The same in chapter 5, page 11 where the locations are given.

We are moving from old versions of Lightroom on old Macs to new Macs without any previous version of Lightroom. So, if we go to Users / our name / Pictures / – there is obviously no folder called Lightroom to place the old file LightroomCatalog.lrcat in.

I suppose we can't make a folder and name it Lightroom because that is the sort of thing the program will do during installation?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it ok to install Lightroom before transferring the files? Maybe install but not open to avoid catalogue issues?

In the pdf "Adobe Lightroom – Moving to a new computer", chapter 1, page 2, it says "Transfer everything" and then "Install Lightroom". The same in chapter 5, page 11 where the locations are given.

We are moving from old versions of Lightroom on old Macs to new Macs without any previous version of Lightroom. So, if we go to Users / our name / Pictures / – there is obviously no folder called Lightroom to place the old file LightroomCatalog.lrcat in.

I suppose we can't make a folder and name it Lightroom because that is the sort of thing the program will do during installation?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it ok to install Lightroom before transferring the files? Maybe install but not open to avoid catalogue issues?

“Transfer everything”. From the old computer means just that. Everything will include the Lightroom Folder and catalog file inside the “Pictures” folder. “Install Lightroom”. Means to install the latest version of Lightroom Classic. Having completed these tasks, you open the old catalog using the new Lightroom Classic. It will detect the older version catalog file and read the information in it to create a current version of the Lightroom Catalog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
(Maybe I should confess that I am the artist's wife who is writing here - as his assistant and responsible for the transfer process and installations. He works in Lightroom and Photoshop. Since he is dyslectic, I do administrative work - which now includes managing the leap from 2013 to 2021. So nervous for this task that it almost paralyzes my ability to think and act rationally. So I apologize for maybe not even being clear about what I am asking for help for. )

Yesterday we tried testing the transfer process from Lightroom on my 2013-MacBook Pro to my new 2021 silicon MacBook Pro. Didn't seem to work so well. Probably some little detail that I overlooked that stopped us from getting catalogue and photos linked. (Maybe something with "New folder" that I forgot because I was thinking so hard about not importing.) So I uninstalled Lightroom and have removed all files connected to it.

Will try today to "transfer everything" from his 2010 iMac to my new Macbook Pro and see if it works with catalogue and photos there. And if that works well, we will do "the real transfer" to his new silicon MacMini.

PHOTO STORAGE - MOVING FROM 2 TO 1 EXTERNAL DRIVE
(I am also reading and re-reading the instructions on this post and trying to understand everything there
How do I move only my photos to another hard drive, leaving the catalog where it is? | The Lightroom Queen)
At present, he keeps the photos on two external harddisks (3 TB and 5 TB)(see picture). They present themselves like on drive in Lightroom. So the catalogue on his iMac reads them both.
He now wants to store the photos on a new external harddisk (8 TB) (see picture) instead of the two.
I am wondering what to do with the top folder names on the 8 TB? Should we use the names of the two old drives?

PARENT FOLDERS
This thing with getting parent folders in, it doesn't change anything in the hierarchy, right? It just makes some folders visible? They are there from before? (see picture of his folders).

What I really would have wanted was for someone to come and sit and hold my hand and tell me what to do … But I will be extremely grateful for any support in this thread.

Attachments

• De to hd IMG_4284.jpeg
    De to hd IMG_4284.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Den nye 8tb harddisken IMG_4281.jpeg
    Den nye 8tb harddisken IMG_4281.jpeg
    785.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Jens folders IMG_4285.jpeg
    Jens folders IMG_4285.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
If you can start over. I’d recommend that you use the Migration tool that come with MacOS. The migration assistant is an app found in the utility folder. It will migrate all of your apps and data from one computer to an new computer.
I recently got a new M1 iMac. With the Migration Assistant, I transferred my existing work environment from my old iMac to the new one. It took about 2 hours.

If you can start over. I’d recommend that you use the Migration tool that come with MacOS. The migration assistant is an app found in the utility folder. It will migrate all of your apps and data from one computer to an new computer.
I recently got a new M1 iMac. With the Migration Assistant, I transferred my existing work environment from my old iMac to the new one. It took about 2 hours.

Thank you so much for your advice!
We managed to gather our thoughts and with the pdf from Victoria and your summary in the post "everything means just that" etc. (without the Migration tool). We are so relieved and grateful that there is help to be found.
Everything works! It is a new day and a new start!
“Transfer everything”. From the old computer means just that. Everything will include the Lightroom Folder and catalog file inside the “Pictures” folder. “Install Lightroom”. Means to install the latest version of Lightroom Classic. Having completed these tasks, you open the old catalog using the new Lightroom Classic. It will detect the older version catalog file and read the information in it to create a current version of the Lightroom Catalog

Attachments

• tech support says.jpg
    tech support says.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 110
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back