Louise71

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Lightroom 5.7-64bit
Operating System
Windows 10
Hi, I use Lightroom 5.7-64bit. All my photos are stored on an external hard drive and I backup Lightroom onto my computer. I need to store my photos onto a bigger hard drive as the one I am using is full. (I have attempted to do this but have got it wrong), Can you please tell me how I move everything so that I can see all my editing etc and so that Lightroom knows what to do?
Thanks
Louise:)

I-See-Light

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Victoria has some great articles on the 'moving' topics at- Moving Lightroom

"I backup Lightroom onto my computer " This sounds like you also have your Catalog on the external drive. If that is the case then when the Catalog is also moved to the bigger drive you open it by a double-click on the .LRCAT catalog file. If the 'bigger' drive with the image files has changed drive letter then you would need to update the image folder locations at the 'new' drive location.

Louise71

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thanks for your help, but I still can't get it to find missing folder. I have my photos on external hard drive and my Catalogue on the computer.

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Thanks for your help, but I still can't get it to find missing folder. I have my photos on external hard drive and my Catalogue on the computer.
Lightroom can’t find missing folders by itself. If it could, the foldes wouldn’t be missing in the first place. You have to tell it where the missing folders are located.

Louise71

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom can’t find missing folders by itself. If it could, the foldes wouldn’t be missing in the first place. You have to tell it where the missing folders are located.
I have tried telling it where they are but nothing is happening. I am doing something wrong but not sure what.

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I have tried telling it where they are but nothing is happening. I am doing something wrong but not sure what.
So describe the begin situation, what you did, and what the result was (not). Without knowing that, we can’t tell that either. Post screenshots, they often tell more than words.

Louise71

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
So describe the begin situation, what you did, and what the result was (not). Without knowing that, we can’t tell that either. Post screenshots, they often tell more than words.
When in lightroom I exported all my photos to the new hard drive but then had to change the new harddrive to a different USB port. Some photos showed up when I opened lightroom with the new harddrive some I had to find and now I have noticed the some have shown up but without all the editing I have done. Sorry I know this must sound confusing thanks for helping

Louise71

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
If you exported these photos, then you used the wrong method. Read the link “I-See-Light” posted.
[/QUOTE
If you exported these photos, then you used the wrong method. Read the link “I-See-Light” posted.
Ok thankyou. I will give that a go. I exported as I thought I needed to do everything through lightroom.....so much to it isn't there!!

Louise71

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I have downloaded Vice Versa. When I have to select the method what do I select, Align Source and target, Augment Target, Refresh Target, update target, update and prune target or force target?? Thankyou agian

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
I haven't used it for ages. Can you grab us a screenshot of what you can see and I can take a good guess.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Since it's going to a blank location, I think any of them should work, but without checking the help docs, I'd go with Force Target.