• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Moving photo hierarchy - precautions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prbimages

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom Classic version: 7.1 [ 1148620 ]

I am planning to move my whole photo hierarchy from F:\Storage\Photos to F:\Photos. Before I do so, are there any particular precautions or gotchas I need to be aware of? (I have a full backup of everything.) Thanks :)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom Classic version: 7.1 [ 1148620 ]

I am planning to move my whole photo hierarchy from F:\Storage\Photos to F:\Photos. Before I do so, are there any particular precautions or gotchas I need to be aware of? (I have a full backup of everything.) Thanks :)
Just be sure to move the entire hierarchy using Lightroom and not Windows File Explorer. :thumbsup:

Phil Burton

Because in this case you are in effect simply removing "Storage" out of the full path of "Photos", and you're wanting to have "Photos" in the root directory of the drive, it's a little bit more complicated than the usual drag and drop a folder from one place to another if done in Lightroom. What you need to do first is to get the root directory showing in the Folders panel, you do this by right-clicking on the "Storage" folder in the Folders panel and choose "Show Parent Folder". A false folder, simply shown as "F:" will appear above "Storage" in the panel. Now you can drag the "Photos" folder from it's location in the Folders panel below "Storage" and drop it on the "F:" folder. That should move the Photos folder and all sub-folders into the root directory, making "Storage" superfluous (assuming there's no other sub-folders at the same level as "Photos"), so if the photo-count for "Storage" is zero you can right-click and remove it.
Then you'll want to get rid of that false "F:" folder, simply right-click on it and select "Hide This Parent".

P.S. A catalog backup before you start would be a sensible precaution!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back