Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom version: 6.13 [ 1141928 ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
  2. Windows 10
Perhaps not the most original title.
[Luddite Alert]

I'm doing my homework before moving my LR6 installation, from a Windows 7 system to a new Windows 10 system,
I've read the website and I've read the e-book, but questions remain:

I know where all my photos are (on networked drives), I know where all my catalogues are, and I think I've identified all MY presets, but ...

1) Do I move all my presets, etc. to the new PC (creating the relevant folders under AppData as I go) and THEN install LR (as the e-book seems to suggest) or do I install LR BEFORE moving my presets (as the website seems to suggest)?

2) Should I, or should I not, copy across my preferences?

My "Lightroom 6 Startup Preferences.agprefs" file seems to comprise exclusively paths to folders that will not exist on the new PC, which suggests it will be of no value, and might even be harmful, on the new PC. Even LR6 itself will be in a different place on the new PC.

My "Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs" is similarly burdened with obsolete paths, but does appear to contain information relating to installation/registration of plugins (all of which will have new homes on the new PC) which might be worthy of retention - though I question the value of nearly 10,000 lines of settings for the rc_ExifMeta plugin where, if I ever need to go back to it, would probably best be deployed from a clean start.

3) From the point of view of managing the Camera Raw settings and cache locations, is it better to install Photoshop on the new PC BEFORE installing Lightroom?

The wisdom of the experts is eagerly anticipated ...

You might try a different approach. Windows has a migration tool similar to the one found in MacOS. If you use that you will copy all of the files and settings from the old computer (old OS) to the new Computer (new OS). Everything should be exactly as it was before but on the new computer.

An interesting idea, and a tool I wasn't aware of. If I was trying to preserve more than just a few presets and plugins I'd maybe give it a go, but...
apart from said presets and plugins I'm consciously trying to leave behind as much of the mess on the Windows 7 PC as possible, with clean installs on the new box - and doing things the "Microsoft Way".
However, having skimmed the "how to" for the migration tool it does strongly suggest that the way forwards is to install LR first and migrate presets, etc. second.

In the end I settled on the "Install Lightroom first then copy across my presets and plugins" approach.
It's a very mandraulic approach, but seems to have worked OK.
Interestingly, the link that Jim provides to 6.14 is for a "complete" installation, I didn't have to install 6.0 then update to 6.14 (though I have all the sources had I needed to).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back