• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Library module Moving LR photos to external hard drive

Nancy L

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I have moved many photos from my LR photo library to my external Seagate hard drive by adding a folder and dragging them into the created folder. Today however, I followed the same procedure but when I look at the list of folders under my external Seagate hard drive, the newly created folders do not show up. I then clicked on the Seagate icon on my Desktop and when I opened it, the folders are clearly there. Not sure why they are not showing up in LR. Any thoughts?
Thanks very much.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Nancy, welcome to the forum!

Can you grab us a screenshot of the Folders panel please? That might offer some clues. There's instructions on how to do and upload screenshots here: Help

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Nancy

That list looks a bit short, or a bit long. I think we'll need to see the full folders panel so what what might be going wrong. Closing the Navigator by clicking on its arrow would give a bit more vertical space. One of the missing folder in Finder might help too.

(By the way, replying by email doesn't reach the forum. You need to click the View This Thread button to come back here to post, but fortunately I saw it as it came through)

John Little

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Did you move the folders within Lightroom, or using Finder (or however one does it on the Mac)?

John Little

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
To amplify further, if you move them using Finder, Lightroom doesn't know where they are. If that's what you did, the easiest fix (unless someone can suggest an easier way) is to move them back to the original location using Finder, then move them within LR to the desired location.

Jim Wilde

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
More often than not, simply updating Lightroom with the new location would be easier than moving them back and re-moving them again from within Lightroom.

John Little

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
More often than not, simply updating Lightroom with the new location would be easier than moving them back and re-moving them again from within Lightroom.
Yes, that's true, as long as the folder structure hasn't changed too much. At the same time, it's worthwhile helping the OP figure out what might have gone wrong so it doesn't recur.

ianbooks

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
2.x
I have a similar problem. After the external disk with my LR files crashed, I started a new catalog and used "import with copy to new location" to put files from my internal HD (or so I thought) on a new external disk. The result is that I now have more than one copy of each photo in new folders on my internal HD, plus more than one in identical folders on the external disk. The worst part is that I can't tell which file the LR catalog references and which I can safely move or delete. And if I can safely move the folders, how do I tell LR the new location? Any suggestions much appreciated.
MacBook Pro, LR 2.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Ian, welcome to the forum! It's not very often we get someone on LR2. Since you imported into a new catalog, I'm guessing you don't have any of your edits anymore. Do you have a backup catalog that you can restore?

ianbooks

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
2.x
Hi Victoria, so glad to have discovered the website! I'm still on LR2 because I was away from photography for several years. Some questions:
  1. Am I right that it's no longer possible for me to upgrade to a later version of 'perpetual' LR?
  2. If I want to move my pix (data) folder to an external disk, how do I tell the LR catalog where I just put it?
Thanks for your help. I can see from looking at the site that I have quite a lot of catching up to do.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
You might still find a boxed copy of LR6 in a third party retailer for a few more weeks yet. It's no longer being updated, but it's a lot more up to date than LR2! That said, at this point I'd seriously consider moving to subscription.

Things have changed a lot since LR2 was released in 2008 (wow!) but it's all fun!