• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Moving LR Files to external Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonard704

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 8.3.1 Release Camera Raw 11.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am moving LR to a new computer and I need to move about 4TB of image files to an external drive. See screen capture below. There is a total of about 60,000 files (1.8TB) on the drive shown in the screen shot. With the exception of LR2 Photos and Photo Library folders, only the folders on the WD3 – 2TB drive with a year as the folder name will be moved to the external drive. The other folders are not part of lightroom.

All the files and catalog are backed up. Is there a danger that in trying to move 60,000 files as a unit that LR will get confused somewhere during the move and loose or confuse links? Is there a better or safer way than drag and drop to do the move? Would it be better to break it up into smaller units?

Thank you,

Leonard

1582620094351.png

You might also look at a tool like Teracopy. It can do a read-verify after write, to ensure that there are no transfer errors in moving that much data. Windows only detects hard errors (i.e. complete failures), there's no verification step in a windows explorer move. Alternatively run a checksum verify or just a differences (winmerge).

Very, very low probability of failure, but that's a lot of data and, well, it's an external drive (I'm in the minority perhaps but I just don't trust them to be as reliable). Belt and suspenders never hurts.

Thank you for your suggestion about Teracopy. Unfortunately I completed moving the files overnight.
I'll look into for future file transfers. It doesn't look like it can validate the files except during the transmission.

Thank you for your suggestion about Teracopy. Unfortunately I completed moving the files overnight.
I'll look into for future file transfers. It doesn't look like it can validate the files except during the transmission.
Yeah, that's more difficult. Given it is a very low probability problem I would not worry. If you are a bit OCD as I am (actually am CDO -- the letters need to be in order!) there's a tool out there called FCIV that lets you take checksums of all files. You can run it on both drives separately, then compare that result in something like winmerge (or even load it in excel if you are good at excel). Any difference in checksum is an invalid copy.

But... again, it's an extremely unlikely case that something corrupted during copy.

I successfully moved the LR files to an external drive and installed LR on the new computer. I copied the catalog and presets to the new computer and attempted to load the catalog. LR said it needed to update the catalog and previews to work with LR Classic. I agreed and LR updated the files. It opened the catalog with the expected "?". When I pointed LR to the new external drive location it went through the motions, but the "?" remained. I then tried to point LR to the first folder location and I received the following error. "An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index field ‘source’ (a nil value)"
When I moved the files to the external drive I did not update the catalog since I was going to move the drive to the new computer right away. I'm not sure if that was a mistake or not.
Do you have any idea what I should try next? The original catalog and associated files are still in tact and safe.
Thanks

I successfully moved the LR files to an external drive and installed LR on the new computer. I copied the catalog and presets to the new computer and attempted to load the catalog. LR said it needed to update the catalog and previews to work with LR Classic. I agreed and LR updated the files. It opened the catalog with the expected "?". When I pointed LR to the new external drive location it went through the motions, but the "?" remained. I then tried to point LR to the first folder location and I received the following error. "An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index field ‘source’ (a nil value)"
When I moved the files to the external drive I did not update the catalog since I was going to move the drive to the new computer right away. I'm not sure if that was a mistake or not.
Do you have any idea what I should try next? The original catalog and associated files are still in tact and safe.
Thanks

Problem Solved!! After closing and restarting LR I was able to point to the missing folders successfully.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back