• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Moving Lightroom Classic from old IMAC to new IMAC using external hard drive for transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

head scratcher

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 10.2 release. Camera raw 13.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
GOT READY:
1). Cleaned up all files on old IMAC (missing files etc) and all went well. All photos are on external hard drives.
2). Loaded Lightroom on new IMAC ($9.99) Added new name as asked. All went well.

Placed the following files on an unused new external hard drive (as suggested) from old IMAC: (took a bit of time to load)
LR catalog previews.lrdata
LRcatalog smart preview.lrdata

LR Catalog.lrcat

Plugged in the same external hard into new IMAC and double clicked on LRCatalog.Iract and everything came up and looked exactly as old original computer. HAPPY.
—the “?” did show up for the external hard drives not connected as expected.

I thought I was done.

I disconnected the same external hard drive and a notice popped up saying something like “Lightroom is using this external hard drive and cannot be disconnected."
— read up on topic and it was suggested that I close down Lightroom and then disconnect external hard drive. So I did. It disconnected just fine.

When I relaunched Lightroom again on new IMAC all the transferred items were GONE and the default Lightroom showed up just as it did the first time I opened it.

I then plugged in the same external hard drive and was able to locate my newly named Lightroom Catalog and everything came up again the way I want it. HAPPY.

I’m afraid to disconnect my external hard drive. I missed something. I'm using it right now with various external hard drives and all seems good.

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO COMPLETE THIS SO I CAN DISCONNECT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE AND HAVE EVERYTHING BE WONDERFUL?
note: I have been at this for far too long and need help.

Thank you VERY much.

You placed the catalog on the external drive, so as long as Lightroom is running you cannot disconnect it. If you want to run Lightroom while this external drive is disconnected, then don’t place the catalog folder on the external drive but place it on the internal drive.

Thank you. I never read anything on how to do that that so I'll go and learn that process. I really appreciate the reply as I now have a direction.

Thank you. I never read anything on how to do that that so I'll go and learn that process. I really appreciate the reply as I now have a direction.
You could have saved yourself a lot of grief if you had started with this forum and asked the question: How do I move Lightroom to a new computer?
It might be easier starting over and following these directions But you are almost there now, so maybe not. In either case, reading the directions before you go further will give you a better understanding of Johan's instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back