• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Moving Lightroom and its content to another drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkcloud54

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
10.2 Lightroom Classic CC
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Morning all:
All of my Lightroom work is done from an external drive. Problem is is that I am now running out of space on this drive. I bought a much bigger drive to use but I don't know how to transfer all of Lightrooms info from one drive to another. I do not wish to split up my work flow. I asume that if this move can be done I will have to create a new Catalog on the drive, correct? The object is to keep everything in tack, photos as well as collections and all the info.
Can someone guide me through the process of making this transfer?
Any help would be great.
Thank you
Leland

I keep photo's on external drive and catalog on laptop usually. Out of interest if all my photo's were backed up to another external drive ( Mac 11.4) but Lightroom won't recognise them being there what would happen if I change the name of the new drive to the same as the old external one? My problem is my old Mac Air is in death throws and so is the original drive ( it's not stable when connected to the new M1 Mac but ok on the old computer but the old computer is just hanging in there !!)

I keep photo's on external drive and catalog on laptop usually. Out of interest if all my photo's were backed up to another external drive ( Mac 11.4) but Lightroom won't recognise them being there what would happen if I change the name of the new drive to the same as the old external one? My problem is my old Mac Air is in death throws and so is the original drive ( it's not stable when connected to the new M1 Mac but ok on the old computer but the old computer is just hanging in there !!)

Changing the volume name to the name of the old volume is exactly what I would recommend when replacing one EHD with another. It also sounds like you old MBA primary volume is failing too. If this is where your catalog file is located, then you will need to deal with that issue to preserve a copy of the master catalog file before the MBA goes south.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back