• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Moving Keywords in Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sing141

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 11.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm trying to improve my Lightroom keywording setup. I have a Keyword setup that is similar to this:
Africa
Big Cats
Antelope
Elephants
Europe
France
Germany
Netherlands
Europe should be on the same level as Africa but I cannot figure out how to move it so that it is. Thanks for any help.

can't see any indentation in your message - all KW appear to be at the same level. Perhaps a screen shot would help us see your situaiton better.

I was afraid the indents wouldn't show so I will use ... instead of spaces.

I'm trying to improve my Lightroom keywording setup. I have a Keyword setup that is similar to this:
Africa
......Big Cats
......Antelope
......Elephants
......Europe
............France
............Germany
............Netherlands
Europe should be on the same level as Africa, but I cannot figure out how to move it so that it is. Drag and drop doesn't seem to work. Thanks for any help.

I was afraid the indents wouldn't show so I will use ... instead of spaces.

Africa
......Big Cats
......Antelope
......Elephants
......Europe
............France
............Germany
............Netherlands
Europe should be on the same level as Africa, but I cannot figure out how to move it so that it is. Drag and drop doesn't seem to work. Thanks for any help.
Continents
......Africa
............Big Cats
............Antelope
............Elephants
......Europe
............France
............Germany
............Netherlands

I would do the following,

1) add a new "Europe" KW at level 1

2) Highight all the KW's under the old "Euorpe" (in your same that would be France, Germany and Netherlands

3) Drag those higlighted KW's to the new "Europe", leaving no sub keywords under the old Euorpe

4) If the Old Europe itself has some images,, assign those images to the new Europe and remove them from the old Europe

5) The old Europe should now show zero images, Delete it.

You can drag and drop, you should see a blue line appear you drop. Dan's way is a great way to avoid the drag though.

Set your Heading titles in Capitals
Then your sub titles using capital and lower case.
Then drag the sub title over the main title and drop. Repeat for all the sub title s of same kine.
Then if you click the arrow by Heading they will close down into the Parent title.
You can then repeat this process for all sorts of Heading and sub heading and by closing each group down the Keyword list is alway readable and never to large.

You can drag and drop, you should see a blue line appear you drop.
That line is often very difficult to see and select.
This is what I see in my Windows system- a thin grey line. (Moving '05 PORTRAIT' out of 'WORKSHOP GROUPS' )
2022-04-12 08_37_58-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Agree, Dan's suggestion is helpful.

Thanks for the solution which was to drag and drop. The line was occasionally difficult to see but once I knew it was there not hard to do. Grab the keyword line you want to move and move up. It changes to a circle with a line through it. As you carefully move up the circle with the line will disappear. Release the click and the keyword will have moved to that point. I didn't have all that many to move. I did not try the Headings in Capitals, sub-headings in capital and lower case. I have too many key words I would have had to change. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back