• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Moving Images and retaining stacking etc.

peter.downer

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightrrom Classic v 13
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Hello all,
I use two windows computers to manage my images. When travelling I import freshly captured images to Lightroom classic on my laptop. I may do some basic editing and catalogue functions. The images are saved to a portable SSD drive, freeing up the CF Express card for the next day's shooting.
Then when I return home I plug the ssd drive into my desktop PC and copy all the files to my permanent Hard Drives (which get backed up to the cloud).
I then open Lightroom on the Desktop PC and synchronise the folders which brings the newly saved images in, but does not retain the Stacking etc.
Is there a way to do this and not lose this sort of detail?
Thanks

Hello all,
I use two windows computers to manage my images. When travelling I import freshly captured images to Lightroom classic on my laptop. I may do some basic editing and catalogue functions. The images are saved to a portable SSD drive, freeing up the CF Express card for the next day's shooting.
Then when I return home I plug the ssd drive into my desktop PC and copy all the files to my permanent Hard Drives (which get backed up to the cloud).
I then open Lightroom on the Desktop PC and synchronise the folders which brings the newly saved images in, but does not retain the Stacking etc.
Is there a way to do this and not lose this sort of detail?
Thanks

Some things are not clear. On the laptop, do you manage everything in travel catalog that is separate from the Master catalog on the desktop?
If So, do you import that catalog into your master catalog on the desktop?

If you are not doing this then you won’t get stacks or everything stored in the traveling catalog file.

Stacking and other catalog functions are only retained in the catalog file where they are created. If you use the “import from another catalog function” you should (I haven’t verified this) get any stacks and collections created in the travel catalog.

“Synchronise folders” is an Import process and only imports the original file and sidecar file if any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Instead of copying the files and synchronizing the folders, I would open the desktop catalog, and use "Import from another catalog", selecting the laptop catalog. After that is complete, move the files to the desired location(s) on your permanent Hard Drivers using the Folder panel in LrC.

Some things are not clear. On the laptop, do you manage everything in travel catalog that is separate from the Master catalog on the desktop?
If So, do you import that catalog into your master catalog on the desktop?

If you are not doing this then you won’t get stacks or everything stored in the traveling catalog file.

Stacking and other catalog functions are only retained in the catalog file where they are created. If you use the “import from another catalog function” you should (I haven’t verified this) get any stacks and collections created in the travel catalog.

“Synchronise folders” is an Import process and only imports the original file and sidecar file if any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Instead of copying the files and synchronizing the folders, I would open the desktop catalog, and use "Import from another catalog", selecting the laptop catalog. After that is complete, move the files to the desired location(s) on your permanent Hard Drivers using the Folder panel in LrC.
Thank you both for your replies. For clarity I use a different catalogue on my Laptop from my PC. In essence I think you are both saying the same thing, to import from another calendar on the PC when I return to my desktop location. I will try this later, am i to assume that using this will allow me to search for the catalogue on the SSD or do I need to switch on the laptop and make the laptop available on the same network?

Thank you both for your replies. For clarity I use a different catalogue on my Laptop from my PC. In essence I think you are both saying the same thing, to import from another calendar on the PC when I return to my desktop location. I will try this later, am i to assume that using this will allow me to search for the catalogue on the SSD or do I need to switch on the laptop and make the laptop available on the same network?
If you store the travel catalog on the SSD and travel images in folder that are sub folders to the folder containing the catalog , you have everything in one place for the "Import from another Catalog" process. However if you keep the travel catalog on the laptop primary drive, it is necessary to create a package on the SSD using the "Export as Catalog" function on the laptop. The package will contain the exported catalog and the images in subfolders in one place just as I described.

Right. I find it simplest to keep both the catalog and the images on the (external) SSD.

If you store the travel catalog on the SSD and travel images in folder that are sub folders to the folder containing the catalog , you have everything in one place for the "Import from another Catalog" process. However if you keep the travel catalog on the laptop primary drive, it is necessary to create a package on the SSD using the "Export as Catalog" function on the laptop. The package will contain the exported catalog and the images in subfolders in one place just as I described.
One other thing. Since you are a Windows user, it is essential that the images and the catalog be in a subfolder of the catalog folder or that you create a package using the Export as Catalog function. This is because Windows uses Driveletters where as other operating systems do not. The absolutePath stored in the catalog file will contain a drive letter and the possibility that the Drive letters will change is great. The second path field stored in the catalog is relativePath and this is resolvable ONLY if the image path relative to the is resolvable. That happens when the image files are in subfolder relative to the location of the catalog.

One other thing. Since you are a Windows user, it is essential that the images and the catalog be in a subfolder of the catalog folder or that you create a package using the Export as Catalog function. This is because Windows uses Driveletters where as other operating systems do not. The absolutePath stored in the catalog file will contain a drive letter and the possibility that the Drive letters will change is great. The second path field stored in the catalog is relativePath and this is resolvable ONLY if the image path relative to the is resolvable. That happens when the image files are in subfolder relative to the location of the catalog.
Alternatively, you can do what I do and make sure the SSD uses the same Drive letter on both the laptop and the desktop.

Back