• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Moving from LR Classic to the desktop cloudbased version (CC), what about (Nested) Keywords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palle Jensen

GreyT Drumming
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.1 - LR CC 3.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi
I am trying to grasp it all prior to moving 'up' but on this subject I am not clear.
Today in Classic I have a number of keywords I rely on, some are nested, like Flowers, with subdivisions into Roses, Daffodils... As far I find it there are no option in CC for nested keywords. I could live with that, but what would be a sound approach for me prior to moving?
Does my keywords survive for each photo????
In classic I can watch my whole keywordlist on the right side of main screen, but not so in CC??? (I have opened a local version and added som photos to check it out, but NOT imported catalog)
In Classic I can pick one from the list but what I have found out in CC I may only type keyword in, not select!!!

Have a notion that prior to moving I should, maybe, created Collections for each Keyword??? I have some 30K photos
Any ideas, and experiences shared will be highly appreciated
(I own an iMac 27"-5K well stocked, running MacOS 10.15.2)

Palle

When you migrate, all of the keywords in the hierarchy just become individual keywords. So no need to create collections for each keyword. Just bear in mind that keyword addition and management is more limited in Cloudy than it is in Classic.

Ok, so far so good. then my list wil be much longer than before (more scrolling). I have uploaded some smart previews to the cloud and then synced to cloudy, I guess the keywords are only in the classic LRcat. but if I select ALL photos in cloudy the keyword tab will show which keywords (manually added in cloudy by me) are represented. so I guess then than once I migrate the correct way, when i select ALL photos I'll see all keywords from the classic world ! or ?
P

Performance is a bit rubbish if you try that, but yet.

Ok, will bide my time, comes naturally since I have to truly look int the material in Classic, and purge actual duplicates. Midsummer looks like a target, and maybe Cloudy will have grown more up, then?
btw would you know of a practical way to deal with finding 'same' motive, like IMG_5308_31499.jpg and IMG_5308.jpg.
Over the years my system have been hit by various disk errors, software incompabilities, resulting in some mess-up, so instead of looking over each photo that might been missing I took in the whole bunch, well knowing there might be duplicates. the last such event was of 9573 photos. Disk space is cheap AND to some extend I like a tidy shop.
:)

Not to be late to the party but I'll offer my opinion anyway.
I think Lightroom (cloudy) is still a bit to immature to replace Lightroom classic. With the issues around hierarchal keyword s but one example. Other shortcomings include color labels, Smart Collections, Print module and Publish services.

That said, I've still found a place in my workflow for Lightroom Cloudy. I use Lightroom (cloudy) as a front end import to Lightroom Classic. It is ideally suited for that purpose in the field where lugging a big computer around with a master catalog might pose problems.
With Lightroom Cloudy I have access to all of my sync's collections from any mobile device that runs Lightroom cloudy or a web browser.

Not to be late to the party but I'll offer my opinion anyway.
I think Lightroom (cloudy) is still a bit to immature to replace Lightroom classic. With the issues around hierarchal keyword s but one example. Other shortcomings include color labels, Smart Collections, Print module and Publish services.

That said, I've still found a place in my workflow for Lightroom Cloudy. I use Lightroom (cloudy) as a front end import to Lightroom Classic. It is ideally suited for that purpose in the field where lugging a big computer around with a master catalog might pose problems.
With Lightroom Cloudy I have access to all of my sync's collections from any mobile device that runs Lightroom cloudy or a web browser.
Maybe the same will apply for me, later. As of now ... I will not budge from Classic :) on my iMac...One thing though I do like, since I got an iphone 11 Pros the option for Cloudy to use camera(s) directly into LR i nice.
P

works ok but not for "same photo" with morphed filename...
I'd have thought you could have turned off filename detection and asked it to recognize duplicates based on a combination of capture time and camera settings? Anyway, great you've found a solution.

AHAAAaaaeeehhhh, you lured me ouside my 'box'... tried it and yes that will bring me a lt of 'same' motives but with deviating filenames... then comes the work to check which one to keep. And it leaves me also wit a ??? because LR reports I have some32k in All photographs but my search for duplicates tells it searched about 20k?? well something to chech out... later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back