• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Moving from Aperture to LR Classic - file structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian-DB

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR classic desktop (latest)
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I’m looking to move from Aperture to Lightroom.
My preferred file structure is folders for years with sub folders for months (and no further subfolders as I don’t want it split to days).

Can I get LR to import like this or will it have to show daily folders?

And what workflow would you suggest to migrate the 40,000 photos I presently have in Aperture!!

Thanks!

Yes, Lightroom can indeed create a folder structure of only years and months. For migrating from Aperture I suggest you first make sure that all your photos are 'referenced' in Aperture, not 'managed'. Create the year/month folder structure for these images if you do not already have that. Then you can import the entire Aperture library using the special plugin that Lightroom contains.

Yes, Lightroom can indeed create a folder structure of only years and months. For migrating from Aperture I suggest you first make sure that all your photos are 'referenced' in Aperture, not 'managed'. Create the year/month folder structure for these images if you do not already have that. Then you can import the entire Aperture library using the special plugin that Lightroom contains.
Thanks.

Currently all my photos are managed and in the Aperture “package” ...... does this change things?

In Aperture, there is a Relocate Masters/Originals command, which you would use to convert from wholly-managed to wholly-referenced files. I would also recommend you save metadata back to the files. More here.

Please note, I've edited your post's title to avoid confusion with LRCC, the cloud-dependent program.

Currently all my photos are managed and in the Aperture “package” ...... does this change things?
Yes, it does. Like I said in my first message, change the Aperture library into a 'referenced' library, with the 'Relocate Originals' option. If you don't, then Lightroom will have to copy all the originals from the Aperture library to a folder structure on disk, which means it will create a dated folder structure in a way that you may not want (with days as well) and it means all your photos will be duplicated.

Also to avoid duplication, make absolutely sure that you review the Options tab in LR's Import from Aperture. The default is Copy.

Unless you have been running Lightroom for a while I suggest that you do not do a mass migration from Aperture to LR.
Set a specific date to start using Lightroom with all new images. As you get used to LR you should consider migrating some images across.
The biggest motivator for migrating all the Aperture stored images to LR is the fear of Aperture becoming unsupported by changes to the main operating system, if this occurs consider keeping the ability to run Aperture by having the ability to boot an Aperture compatible system.

I still run Aperture to work with pictures taken before 2015 - fortunately I have computers that do not support Mojave so they are possible hosts for the Aperture controlled collection of pictures when Aperture no longer runs on a successor to Mohave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back