• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

"moving files" warning when I try to quit LR6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralf11

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
This has been going on for 2 days now... LR6 claims it is moving files when I try to Quit. Of course, I cannot backup the Catalog unless I Quit...

What should I do? Do I just quit it anyway and try to repair whatever damage it does later somehow?

Or is there some sort of clean up command to fix this buggy program?

Does the activity bar show activity? It probably does. You have probably told LR to move a large number of files from oner folder to another. This will take a long time because LR uses the filesystem functions to move files and disk I/O is one of the slowest components in your system. If you wait until the activity bar shows that the work is done' you won't get this message. If you quit anyway, then LR may simply store the move instructions remaining and resume the next time that you open LR.

it seems to - it claims it is moving files

BUT I have a Fusion drive on this machine and have NEVER had anything take days to perform (even the original transfer from a mac mini to this imac was only a single day)

so something must be wrong

So do you remember which files you told it to move? And have they moved in the OS?

not exactly - I made several moves of files

one thing I did was I tried to move a couple of folders, but couldn't so I had to create new folders where I wanted them, then move the files out of the old ones and into the new folders - I think those were done

but I don't normally take notes on every operation I take in LR...

ok, I have now found some photos that LR does NOT list as missing but actually are - i.e. they are not in the Catalog but are on the disc, and are in a master Folder (subdir) in which every file and folder should be Cataloged.

I don't know if these were files that LR thinks have been in a move operation for several days or not, but it clearly a real mess.

I wasn't expecting you to take notes, but most of us remember which folders or files we've moved a few hours previously. ;)

Unless those missing photos were the ones you were moving, I'd suspect you accidentally removed them from the catalog without deleting. If they're not in the catalog and there are no photos marked as missing, you'd be fine to import those extra ones.

Like I said above, it has been days.

My question is whether it will do any harm to shut down LR.

(I habitually avoid using any other program to move or otherwise alter files - I put all these images in a special master folder for LR only)

It hopefully won't cause any harm, but if it's going to stay stuck for days, then you have no choice anyway. The only likely problem to be caused is photos marked as missing, where it's moved them on disc but not finished updating its catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back