• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Moving files from computer to external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovbaer

Northern California in the foothills of the Sierra
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 8.4.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I've done this before, but now I get an error message:

Could not complete the folder move. Folder named "XYZ" could not be created.

Am using LR Classic on a Mac. Recent upgrades. I actually drag the folder from my internal drive to my external one, and get the above message.

Is there a folder already existing on the destination drive with that name? That would cause it (need to look using Finder to check)

Could be a permissions issue, although that is rare for an external drive. This isn't an external drive used by Time Machine as well?

Can you drag a test folder to the destination drive using Finder?

Ok. I'm back. I just moved a folder from my internal hd to the external one in question. No problem moving it. But it doesn't show up in LR on my files listed under the EHD. So, I tried "adding" the folder without moving it. LR couldn't find any photos, much less folders, in the external hard drive. So I'm beginning to think there's a setting in LR that I must have changed. When I try to work on a file that's on the EHD I can edit it just fine. All the files show up bright, not dimmed out like when the EHD isn't attached.

How did you try to add it? Lightroom does not show folders it does not know, so it is normal that a manually copied or moved folder does not show in Lightroom, until you import that folder.

Can you do the following. Select the disk icon in the Finder and then choose ‘Get Info’ (Cmd-i). Make a screenshot of the window that comes up, making sure the bottom of that window is visible.

How did you try to add it? Lightroom does not show folders it does not know, so it is normal that a manually copied or moved folder does not show in Lightroom, until you import that folder.

Can you do the following. Select the disk icon in the Finder and then choose ‘Get Info’ (Cmd-i). Make a screenshot of the window that comes up, making sure the bottom of that window is visible.
1571180016413.png

And here's the message I get when I try to drag a folder from my internal HD to my external HD
View attachment 13194

Either the EHD does not have write permissions or there is already a folder by that name on the EHD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Click on the little lock (you will be asked for your login password), then check the ‘Ignore ownership on this volume’ checkbox. That should solve it. You could also change the permissions of ‘everyone’ to Read & Write, just to make sure.

As the original poster, thanks for the help, but the problem was not solved. My workaround was to drag the folders from the IHD to the EHD. Then, one by one, I clicked on "Find Missing Folder" and redirected it to the EHD. I like it much better when it works as it's supposed to.

My workaround was to drag the folders from the IHD to the EHD
I‘m not sure I understand this. In message 16 you say you cannot drag a folder from the IHD to this EHD, and you show a screenshot of the error message you get when you try...

I‘m not sure I understand this. In message 16 you say you cannot drag a folder from the IHD to this EHD, and you show a screenshot of the error message you get when you try...
Johan, I think what @dovbaer means is that the error occurs when doing the drag and drop using Lightroom, but the workaround of doing the drag and drop using Finder (then relinking in Lightroom) does work. If that's the case, it still feels like a permissions problem somewhere, but I'm no expert in that area.

Ah, yes, I think you're right. This is definitely a permissions problem. Lightroom runs with different privileges than the user has when he uses the Finder, but setting 'Everyone' to 'Read & Write' and checking the 'Ignore ownership on this volume' should solve that.

To the OP: Maybe you need to do one more thing. Unlock the disk again and click on the Wheel icon. Choose 'Apply to enclosed items'.

1 2019-10-18 15-38-38.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back