• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Moving catalogue and images using a data transfer cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeredithJacobsen

Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I'm migrating to a new computer (Mac to MacBook Pro) and have a data transfer cable between the two. Is it possible to move the catalogue (and it's files) plus the images using this method. I do not have access to wifi.

What cable? Do you have a wired local network? If you have both Macs on the same local network, you can use the Migration assistant to transfer the old Mac to the new one.

I'm migrating to a new computer (Mac to MacBook Pro) and have a data transfer cable between the two. Is it possible to move the catalogue (and it's files) plus the images using this method. I do not have access to wifi.
Yes, what you need to do is start the old Mac in 'Target Disk Mode'. Hold the 'T' key down while you start up the old computer. The old Mac will then appear as an external disk on the new Mac. How to Boot Your Mac in Target Disk Mode for Easy File Transfers

What cable? Do you have a wired local network? If you have both Macs on the same local network, you can use the Migration assistant to transfer the old Mac to the new one.
Thank you for your reply. I have a data transfer cable from one mac to the other, not a network. But, tell me, with Migration Assistant, can you pick the files you want transferred? I don't want to move everything, just the lightroom files.

Thank you for your reply. I have a data transfer cable from one mac to the other, not a network. But, tell me, with Migration Assistant, can you pick the files you want transferred? I don't want to move everything, just the lightroom files.

Yes, you can choose file folders and apps with some granularity.
Your best bet might be to follow Victorias guidelines if you only want to get the LrC related files

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! I would never move my catalogues around without following Victoria's advice. The cable will make it direct from machine to machine without involving a cloud. The cable is working fabulously! M

Thank you! I would never move my catalogues around without following Victoria's advice. The cable will make it direct from machine to machine without involving a cloud. The cable is working fabulously! M
If anyone wants to use the Ethernet cable that came with your router, you either need to connect both systems with an Ethernet connector, or connect both systems with a "crossover" like this one: C2G 27821 3 ft. Cat 6 (Crossover) Grey 550 MHz Snagless Cable - Newegg.com

This cable will not work properly to connect a system to a router.

Phil

If anyone wants to use the Ethernet cable that came with your router, you either need to connect both systems with an Ethernet connector, or connect both systems with a "crossover"

Check your system specs first...many computers made in recent years have auto-sensing Ethernet ports, where you can directly connect two computers with any standard Ethernet cable you have, and nothing else, no router. The port will figure it out and not need a crossover cable.

For Macs specifically, it has been maybe 15 years or more since they required crossover cables for peer-to-peer connections. Since then you have only needed a regular Ethernet cable.

I'm also not sure which kind of data transfer cable Meredith is using, since two Macs can also be connected peer-to-peer via IP Over Thunderbolt, Target Disk Mode, or (if it wasn't a new MacBook Pro) IP Over FireWire, all of which can use other types of data transfer cables.

Check your system specs first...many computers made in recent years have auto-sensing Ethernet ports, where you can directly connect two computers with any standard Ethernet cable you have, and nothing else, no router. The port will figure it out and not need a crossover cable.

For Macs specifically, it has been maybe 15 years or more since they required crossover cables for peer-to-peer connections. Since then you have only needed a regular Ethernet cable.

I'm also not sure which kind of data transfer cable Meredith is using, since two Macs can also be connected peer-to-peer via IP Over Thunderbolt, Target Disk Mode, or (if it wasn't a new MacBook Pro) IP Over FireWire, all of which can use other types of data transfer cables.
My solution was to get the appropriate cables to use the Thunderbolt ports (my Mac guy picked them out) on both computers and to share screens. Works like a charm! Thanks for all the helpful tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back