Moving catalog to 2nd PC and back again

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AndyF

I'd like to copy the appropriate files from my main PC to a laptop which also has LR installed, so I can work on rating and keywording while away. Once the work is done, I'd copy the files back and want the main PC to then be "updated" with the new work. During that time, the LR would not be used on the main PC so there won't be issues with differing file contents.

I assumed that all I needed to copy were the lrcat catalog file and the previews subdirectory tree including all it's subdirectories and contents. However, copying these into the laptop seemed to get the catalog and keywords, but no previews.

What's the simplest way to move the catalog and previews to a second PC, work on ratings and keywords, and then move the updated files back to the original PC? I would prefer a file copying method since that can be done quickly with my existing backup tools, rather than a LR export method.

Thanks,
Andy

if I understands it right I will have the tagging with me if move the file. But Im note sure that I will have the editing with me if I do it in that way.

If you are using RAW files except DNG then with writing XMP you will have tagging AND editing in a separate file with a .xmp extension in the same place as the photo file. So if you have IMG_1234.CR2 from a Canon you will also have IMG_1234.xmp. If you are using DNG the XMP data for tagging and editing go inside the DNG file.

For JPEG, TIFF and PSD, you will have the tagging data inside the photo file. If you set the preference under File > Catalog Settings on the Metadata tab to "Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF and PSD" you will have edits in those photo files as well.

If I understands it right the editing will follow and when I import it it will shows the edit version.
If using different software, it might not understand the tagging and editing in the XMP data in the files and might not show you the edited version. Lightroom will understand and show the edited version and your tagging.

I occasionally process photos for my wife. I do all the develop processing, etc., but the one thing I can't do for her is add captions. So far, we've been doing this on my LR computer w/ me running LR and her adding the text. Not a good situation for any number of reasons.

What I'd like to do is install LR on her computer, export a folder of her images as a catalog, copy it to her computer, and open it in her copy of LR. Once she's finished adding the captions, I'd like to reverse the process and wind up with the captions added to the master copy of the LR database that I keep on my computer w/o having any special virtual copies, etc. Is that possible with the method you've outlined? Does it make any sense? Thanks,

Letting my wife tag and crop was the reason why I wrote the "Multi User Lightroom" tip! See: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/showthread.php?t=713

Ian, do you think the above link should be moved to the "Tips and Tricks" section?... :idea:

Last edited by a moderator:
You know the database file is now .lrcat ?

Try using Export as Catalog. The first time, tick the box to include the negatives. On the other PC, import the catalog. When you bring the work back to the main PC, there's an option to save existing settings as virtual copies. It's not a perfect method, but it's meant for the sort of thing you're doing.

John
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/lightroom/articles/lir1am_catalog.html

Is a Matt Kloskowski video tutorial on John's procedure:

In this short video tutorial, learn how you can use catalogs in Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom™ 1.1 to manage photos on different systems. For example, if you’re on the road and save images to your laptop computer, catalogs make it simple to move those images to your desktop system when you return from your trip. Watch the video to learn how.

(man it's hard to find some of these resources some time)

robert

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/lightroom/articles/lir1am_catalog.html

Is a Matt Kloskowski video tutorial on John's procedure:

In this short video tutorial, learn how you can use catalogs in Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom™ 1.1 to manage photos on different systems. For example, if you’re on the road and save images to your laptop computer, catalogs make it simple to move those images to your desktop system when you return from your trip. Watch the video to learn how.

(man it's hard to find some of these resources some time)

robert
Try the new LR Wiki accessible from the menu bar at the top of the page. The video is here:
http://learn.adobe.com/wiki/display/LR/Create+and+manage+catalogs+-+Learn+More
Let us know what you think of the wiki please.

Ian, do you think the above link should be moved to the "Tips and Tricks" section?... :idea:

I've adjusted the title to make the content clearer, and moved to the tips & tricks forum. Mick's post was looking lonely! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back