Moving between drives: the easy way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Power User
I've seen quite a few threads recently about people moving files to external drives to save space. Well as I've about er.. 1GB left of the 25'Gb on my internal drive, I figured it was time to get some files one of my (many) external drives!.

So what did I do? Well I simply dragged the folder from one drive to the other in Lightroom and then left it alone. Most of these files are older one with the XMP written out. So along with the 7,''' images files, there's almost the same in XMP to go across! Anyway the process has gone smoothly and my system drive doesn't feel so strained any more.

I'd still like to consolidate the entire Library onto 1 large drive (with a 2nd backup drive). Not this week though!

C

cosilver

I recently moved my catalog to a different folder (names were too long to be backed up correctly). I simply copied the "Lightroom" folder containing the existing catalog and related folder/files to the root of my drive, and in Lightroom, opened the "new" catalog. Worked great. After I confirmed everything was there in the newly created folder/catalog, I deleted the original folder in My Documents, and all is fine. It was simpler than I thought it would be.

DaHen

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Its nice to hear good stories about photos being moved. :)

At the rate that I am adding photos, I will have to move all my photos to a larger external HD soon.

Andrew Hayton

I too have recently moved files to a new ext drive. I wasn't so lucky in my first attempt as I just moved the images to the new drive and when LR restarted and looked for them it went haywire and imported stuff it shouldn't. I put everything back as it was and used the last backup of the catalogue and then imported an image from the new drive and referenced it from there so that LR new where the new drive was. Once that was done I just used LR to move all my files from one location to the next. This was fine and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.