• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Moving and Importing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimM

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC 8.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I'm familiar with both Moving files and Importing files but what I'm looking for is a hybrid of the two. My default "Import" takes new files and drops them into folders by date. Unfortunately I currently have edited photos in the catalog that are in folders by subject and I'd like to reorganize so that everything is in folders by date - but I don't want to lose my edits. If I try to use the "Import" function to do this it tells me that the files are already in the catalog and won't proceed. Moving them file by file would work but would end up being a career by itself. Is there practical way to do this?

Welcome to the forum. Already imported photos that have been edited by LR should never be reimported. If you want them moved into date named folders, the only way to do that is to use the filter bar and filter these folders by date. Once you have the date identified, you can select these images in the grid and drag the to the corresponding date named folder in the Folder panel

Thanks you for confirming that. That's what I was afraid of. Unless I'm the first one to ever want to do a wholesale reorganization of his file system structure, this sounds like a good feature to have, especially since it's already a feature for files not in the catalog.

Thanks you for confirming that. That's what I was afraid of. Unless I'm the first one to ever want to do a wholesale reorganization of his file system structure, this sounds like a good feature to have, especially since it's already a feature for files not in the catalog.
JimM,

You can submit a feature request to Adobe. Just click on the Feature Request button at the top of the web page. Let us know if you do that, and include a link, so we can LIKE the request.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back