• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Moving a folder from one EHD to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzImages

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Operating System: Mac OSx
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Classic CC for Mac

The EHD I have been using has my DNG backups from 2011 through the present 2018. That EHD is almost full. And I can't seem to find a thread on how to do this.

I want to move a folder (2018 imports) from the old EHD to the new one, since I will be saving to that folder on the new drive. I don't want to move the others, just the 2018 Imports folder.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Assuming the 2018 folder already exists on the old EHD, close Lightroom, create a new parent folder on the new EHD, then copy the 2018 folder from the old EHD and paste it into that new parent folder on the new EHD.
Start Lightroom, nothing will have changed yet, but if you then right-click on the 2018 folder in the Folders Panel in the old EHD section, select "Update Folder Location" and in the resulting file browser navigate to and select the equivalent 2018 folder on the new EHD. That will switch Lightroom's references for 2018 accordingly. When you are happy all is working well, you can delete the 2018 folder from the old EHD.

It's not difficult. You must do this from inside Lightroom to have your catalog automatically updated.

- In LR, click on the "+" sign on the right of the folder panel tab, a menu should appear
- In the menu, select "Add a folder" and browse to create a folder (say "Pictures") on your new EHD. Your new EHD and this folder should then appear in the folder panel.
- Still in the LR folder, drag the 2018 folder on the old EHD to the "Pictures" folder on your new EHD

Be patient, since moving 2018 files from one EHD to an other might take some time. You can look at the counter in front of the 2018 folder to survey the progress.

Looking at both of your comments. Jim, you said to create a new folder outside of LR on the new EHD. Philippe, you said to create it within LR. Are both of these correct, just two different ways of achieving the same results?

It's not difficult. You must do this from inside Lightroom to have your catalog automatically updated.

- In LR, click on the "+" sign on the right of the folder panel tab, a menu should appear
- In the menu, select "Add a folder" and browse to create a folder (say "Pictures") on your new EHD. Your new EHD and this folder should then appear in the folder panel.
- Still in the LR folder, drag the 2018 folder on the old EHD to the "Pictures" folder on your new EHD

Be patient, since moving 2018 files from one EHD to an other might take some time. You can look at the counter in front of the 2018 folder to survey the progress.

Looking at both of your comments. Jim, you said to create a new folder outside of LR on the new EHD. Philippe, you said to create it within LR. Are both of these correct, just two different ways of achieving the same results?
Yes, both methods work and will give the same result in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back