nanoose

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
lightroom 6 version 6.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
i am using Lightroom 6 version 6.0 on mac 10.15.4 (catalina). movies taken will not play anymore. an image will appear but the control bar to start/stop the video does not appear. this may have started with the catalina upgrade. there has not been a change in movie format (MP4) and old movies from years ago which once played, now do not. any help appreciated.

Lightroom 6 isn’t supported on Catalina. You could try getting a Lightroom 6.14 download link from Adobe, but that might cause more trouble. Unless you want to upgrade to the Photography Plan subscription, I’m afraid you’re stuck with the limitations.

well after resisting for years i will make the transition. but even after reviewing several online 'explanations', which plan to migrate to is still clear as mud. i hope the person in charge of the name selection for the subsequent versions has a private hell to endure. i use the program to store and organize photos (some video), and utilize the post processing which was available on Lr 6. i store my images on my computer, cloud access is not important. i make occasional hard copies, create slideshows of my travels to share with friends, usually in my home or elsewhere after export, usually to a USB stick, either on another computer or TV. so given that, is lightroom classic what i need? i'm just a hobbyist and have not felt the need to use photoshop for any images for years, but this may be in the version i choose anyway. naturally i would like to keep costs to a minimum, but it would appear that the steady drain of a subscription is necessary. given all that, which would you recommend? is the migration of what i have now onto the new version a simple process? again, i appreciate your knowledge and experience.

well after resisting for years i will make the transition. but even after reviewing several online 'explanations', which plan to migrate to is still clear as mud. i hope the person in charge of the name selection for the subsequent versions has a private hell to endure. i use the program to store and organize photos (some video), and utilize the post processing which was available on Lr 6. i store my images on my computer, cloud access is not important. i make occasional hard copies, create slideshows of my travels to share with friends, usually in my home or elsewhere after export, usually to a USB stick, either on another computer or TV. so given that, is lightroom classic what i need? i'm just a hobbyist and have not felt the need to use photoshop for any images for years, but this may be in the version i choose anyway. naturally i would like to keep costs to a minimum, but it would appear that the steady drain of a subscription is necessary. given all that, which would you recommend? is the migration of what i have now onto the new version a simple process? again, i appreciate your knowledge and experience.
If you want to transition to the successor to LR6, then the photography Plan with 20GB of storage, Lightroom Classic (v9.2), Lightroom (cloudy) and Photoshop is probably your best choice. LR Classic v9.2 will be familiar to you if you are used to LR6. You can integrate the mobile versions of Lightroom (cloudy) later as you learn about the advantages of doing so. Lightroom (cloudy) has a lot of the functionality found in Lightroom Classic but not all. The primary storage location is in the cloud but you can store a local copy as well. Not all of the functionality of Lightroom Classic is available in Lightroom (cloudy). Notably missing are the Print module Smart Collections, Slideshows and Map module.

thanks to both VB and clee01l can i assume the transition will be painless ?
Many of the Classic users are ones that have come up through the different versions of Lr. If you went from a previous version (Lr5) to Lr6, it's similar - new software upgrades the catalog, works like it did before but a lot more functionality.

i have purchased and installed LR classic photography plan. i then added my photos (13,000), which i realize came from my pictures folder on my iMac. Unfortunately, these are not the organized, post processed images that i had invested many days-hours over the years, given how LR works. I would like to retrieve that data and organization that my previous LR6 stored. Can i delete the entire lot from LR classic, then export images in smaller batches (say previously organized albums) from LR6 onto my computer (which i hope will preserve the post processing) then import each into LR classic preserving the data? creating albums as i do this ?

Don't add the photos - find your old catalog and let Lr upgrade it for you. This preserves the edits, organization, etc.

i had hoped for something like that when i first started. so should i first delete the pics on the new LR classic? then how do i get LR classic to upgrade my catalogue ? sorry if this is elementary?

Don't delete the pictures. Use File>Open Catalog in Classic and select the LR6 catalog....Classic will upgrade that catalog (adding -2 to the catalog name) and that will preserve all the work that you had done in LR6.

Thanks Jim, i can see ‘file-open catalog ‘ in LR6, but not in LRclassic. Although i does have ‘file-import profiles & presets’.

well now im really confused. yes i need/want LR classic but thought that the photography plan w 20GB included that and think that is kinda stated in Cletus' post ;
(If you want to transition to the successor to LR6, then the photography Plan with 20GB of storage, Lightroom Classic (v9.2), Lightroom (cloudy) and Photoshop is probably your best choice. LR Classic v9.2 will be familiar to you if you are used to LR6. You can integrate the mobile versions of Lightroom (cloudy) later as you learn about the advantages of doing so. Lightroom (cloudy) has a lot of the functionality found in Lightroom Classic but not all. The primary storage location is in the cloud but you can store a local copy as well. Not all of the functionality of Lightroom Classic is available in Lightroom (cloudy). Notably missing are the Print module Smart Collections, Slideshows and Map module.)

is LR classic version 9.2 different from LR classic?

and in the article you provided;
  • Photography Plan 20GB or 1TB includes access to Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and Lightroom Cloudy (activated on 2 computers at any one time), plus Lightroom Cloudy on your various mobile devices. It includes either 20GB or 1TB of cloud space, depending on which plan you choose.
But which plan will be best for you? Pick the combination of apps you want to use:

• Classic only = Photography Plan 20GB ?

is access the operative word here ?

The 20GB Plan includes both Lightroom Classic (yes, it is 9.2) and Lightroom "cloudy" (version 3.2), so open the Creative Cloud desktop app and check which programs you have installed (you should have installed Classic, Photoshop, Bridge, and I think you've also installed Lightroom). Let us know what you have already installed and we'll go from there.

yes that's it. I've downloaded the adobe photoshop lightroom 3.2.1 and added all my 13,000+ onto it. is this the 'cloudy' that has been mentioned? (icon has greenyblue box with rounded corners) so now i guess i should download the lightroom classic (icon has square corners and is more blue than green) and migrate my photos from LR 6 to it , correct? is that process self evident? i prob won't be using the other for now, leave it or delete images? i dont want to uninstall it.

is that process self evident?
Yes. Just install it and run it. It will ask to update your current Lightroom Library (the one on your hard drive). Say yes. It will update the catalogue and come up looking very like the Lightroom 6 that you know and love. It couldn't be easier.

thanks hal that worked for the most part but the process did manage to create a few hundred copy images which appear to have been imported from LR mobile. ?? i presume they came from the cloudbased app that i started this recent process with (cloudy 3.2.1 or whatever one would prefer to call it). i can deal with those with some searching and deleting. im thinking i could just delete the images from that app (cloudy 3.2.1), and wait till im ready to try using it? but the most important thing is that i have the correct app, and i have not lost the data associated with the images. thanks for all the help and your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back